www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Default Anybody using the 17WSM?

I got a real I WANT for one of these. I have a 17HMR in a Savage Mako and it's amazingly accurate but I would never use it for coyotes just because I believe it's under powered. But the 17WSM...now that's a different kettle of fish!.

So who's got one? How are the results?..... Details dammit !!

Now if I could only find one somewhere.....

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.-- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)
It only takes one sociopath to ruin your day. But the Liberals can ruin your life...
http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/135/6b57f2576c1b487c882ecc1406c9deee/m.gif
Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 PM

I have the interest in this Cal too. Hope To read some feed back on it ...
Ruger Percision Rifle 243 Harris extended S25C
Vortex 4x12x50 crossfire on each setup
Hornady V-Max 58gr
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Well here in Wisconsin this weekend at Cabela's they are giving away a Savage .17 WSM B-Mag. They have the value listed at $329.00. I don't know if this is the rifle you guys are talking about? I thought the B Mag was the latest from Savage with it being the larger rimfire cartridge? Really haven't heard much about it.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM

I am very interested in the cartridge but not so much in the B-mag as of now. In the first two reviews of the B-mag I read the rifle was unreliable and/or broke. I'm sure these problems will go away, as it is a new rifle, but I will probably wait before picking one up.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 AM

When this cartridge arrived on the scene last winter I wanted one in a bad way. After my last two sessions at the range with my HMR I've decided my old eyes and nerves aren't as steady as they used to be. 100 yards is about as far as I can shoot accurately now days. I'll use my .22 Mag for varmints and my HMR for woodchucks.

But, if I was younger I'd jump all over the .17WSM. This is a great step up from an HMR.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 AM

I was going to get it... and then NY allowed us to use .204 during deer season - in certain areas - so that ended that!!

Read the new book Bring on the Night at www.amazon.com
Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Bmag

I purchased a BMAG in September of this year and yet to use it on predators but from my experience at the range with it the BMAG shoots very well with both the 20 & 25 grain bullets. I personally hope ruger comes out with a version of the 17wsm as the BMAG is a very cheaply constructed gun.Now that our deer season is over I plan on trying it on some fox and yotes and hope it fits the bill as we can only use rimfire guns at night in the state of Michigan.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Yes, a Ruger version would be the cat's meow! I had a 77/22 for a while and it was THE most accurate 22 I've ever shot. Shoulda never sold that gun. But I digress. A 77/17WSM would be my dream rimfire rifle for sure. That is until say, a 22WSM or a 243WSM rimfire comes along (wonder if Winchester's listening?)

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.-- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)
It only takes one sociopath to ruin your day. But the Liberals can ruin your life...
http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/135/6b57f2576c1b487c882ecc1406c9deee/m.gif
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM

I as well purchased a B mag in September . I hunted coyotes with it. I have shot 4 coyotes with this , possibly more but 4 guarantee hits, none were recovered. 3 of them I placed the shots just behind front leg with straight broad side shot. 1 I shot straight in the chest facing him. I'm sure these dogs died, just not as fast as I'd hope. Also , several times I sat staring at them from 300 yards, knowing it was out of range.. Unable to get them closer. Another issue I have is the accuracy of the Rifle is at best 2.5 moa . I think the barrel is so cheap it heats up after 2 shots. So all in all. Nice for varmints, not predators, hope for a decent priced rifle with some accuracy. The Winchester 1885 is priced over 1000.00 a bit high for a rimfire. I'll stick with my 22-250 Remington