www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Default rifle question

I currently own a savage 22-250. But South Carolina now has rules in place that do not allow center fire rifles for night hunting except for a few months out of the year (basically when deer have shed their antlers). So I am looking for a rim fire rifle for under 300.00. Like I said I am from SC so my shot distance will not be too extreme maybe 200 yards max. What do you guys recommend? I have been looking at a savage 17hmr?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:17 PM

The new .17wsm is ballistically very appealing but its said there are issues with the Savages..I dont own one for that reason and will wait for another manufacturer.. The .22mag has more "killing power" to 100-125yds than the HMR but after that the HMR "takes over". I do know some guys have issues with taking yotes with both the .17hmr and .17wsm and the .22mag for that matter. I'd pick the .22mag at this point and just limit my shots to the appropriate range?? I wish a certain forum member would chime in..but he lurks in the shadows..maybe I'll get him to post.

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association
PPHA.us
Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 PM

I'd say Quattro is spot on, the only thing I may add is be cautious with the 17 HMR on longer shoulder shots. Friend hit one in the shoulder out past 170 yards, founded it and killed it 3 days later. Now he keeps it under 150 yards head shots only out past 100yards.
I hunt in a area that is also limited to rimfire. Most people went back to the 22mag. myself included. You can pick up a Savage 22mag/17hmr at any of the local box stores from 230.00 on up, your choice. Be sure they have ammo in stock or in your hand, nothing worse then a new gun you can't find ammo for.
The 17 WSM is the way to go when they get all the bugs worked out. I've had 3 different B-mags in my hand in the last three months just couldn't pull the trigger on buying one, to many questionable reviews. As soon as things get straitened out or new options become available I will be the first in line. I recently did some testing with a 22mag out to 200 yards. I wont get into the results or personal feelings but this is not the 22mag I grew up with. Optics, gun and ammo quality have pushed the 22 mag out past the 100 yard mark.
Good Luck.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 AM

Default Rim Fire

Put your thinking cap on. Rim fire causes a lot of wounded coyotes to wander around before they die or it makes them "educated" coyotes.

Jeff S.

Last edited by Jeff S.; 12-10-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: standd by my earlier remark
Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Default rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
Put your thinking cap on. Rim fire causes a lot of wounded coyotes to wander around before they die or it makes them "educated" coyotes.

Jeff S.
I live in Michigan which also only allows rimfires for night hunting so do you suggest people who can only use rimfires not hunt? Just as using any gun you should know the capabilities and effective range of the gun as well as proper shot placement many a coyote and fox have fallen to the lowly rimfires in this state.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM

I own both the 17 HMR and the 22 Mag, both in Savage 93. If I had to choose I'd keep my 22 Mag over the 17 HMR. Like fox kicker said, the newer ammo makes the 22 Mag a very different caliber. My Savage loves any 30 grain bullet I've ran through it and MOA at 100 yards on the bench is consistent. One thing, if you go the Savage route, BE SURE, to get the AccuTrigger. Savage sells a FXP model with a 3-9 scope, but I've yet to see the FXP with the AccuTrigger. That said, my 22 Mag is the FXP model without the AccuTrigger and it is a tack driver. But, my 17 HMR has the AccuTrigger and I like this trigger much better.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 PM

IMHO...if limited to 22 WMR.... a used Marlin (Pre-Remlin days) 22 Maggie with CCI Game Points........if anybody finds a good supply of GPs let me know!

If I were limited to use the 17HMR I would shoot the XTP bullet and keep the shots clean and under 50yds.....just my opinion. I know the internet snipers from web recon use them to shoot yote eyes at 1500 meters....who needs military training as long as we have Xbox.....

Heck I have a 17 Hornet but I still would be cautious before shooting at a yote....and hold off unless I had a perfect shot presentation well under what most would take.....plus its a Savage...who knows if the second round will cycle?.....its a gamble at times....LOL
Old 12-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Hahahahaha..... XNAVYORDIE, you don't mince words, do ya? Tell'n it like it is!!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:12 PM

xnavyordie, GET BACK to my thread on 22 mag 17hmr or 17 hornet and answer questions on my return post to you. Ha Ha, just joking. Not really, hurry back.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM

DirtyDawg, That's a tough rule to abide by (the government telling us what to hunt with). Bimart and walmart usually have good buys on what you are looking for. My savage 17hmr is a tack driver and it never has problems cycling (although some people do). I would prob lean towards the 22 mag, I think it packs more of a punch to anchor dogs. my buddy has 22mag and can hit anything I can at long range with my 17. The 17 is real good at rabbit sized animals but bigger than that it just don't have much knock down ability.