www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM

Default Coyote 1.....Punisher stupid at best !

Well I learned a good lesson tonight......my second time to coyote hunt. I went out about hour and half before sunset to a location that has coyotes all over it. Deep ravines with couple of hundred yards of trees flowing out into a corn field on side of a good hill. Creek running down bottom of corn field with trees and some open bottom ground. Wind was perfect blowing into face and little across left to right. Right at dark I was getting ready to leave and decided to play pup distress for about 3 or 4 minutes. Suddenly right in front of me walks a female coyote, 20 yards away at best. Guess what.......NO SHOTGUN. What a dumba$$. I could not get a focus on my DPMS 204 and didn't want to just take a wild shot so I just waited. Coyote stood for couple of minutes...then urinated...then walked to my left about 40 yards stopping twice to urinate. Then went back in front of me up the creek at a trot. It was dark to where I could not get a good focus so I thought I would wait for another day. But I know now that the coyote pup distress really works. From now on dumb me will carry the 12ga too !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0014.jpg (93.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by thePunisher; 02-06-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: forgetful !
Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM

That's just the way it works, eh? If I carry a shotgun, I have them hang up. If I carry a rifle I get ran over. If I carry both I don't call anything. Every once in a while I have one that wants to commit suicide so at least that keeps me going.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM

I feel really stupid for not taking the 12 along too. Won't happen again for certain. Yotes were all up on side of hill laughing at me about 30 mins ago. I could hear them just yelping away. I wanted to play a mountain lion call but didnt. LOL.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM

That is why I have a 2-7 power scope on my .243

The first time I was on a hunt and had coyote (a pair) come in, they were only 20yds away. When I pulled up on them, they came in from an area I didn't expect (go figure), all I saw was the A$$ end of one (mostly tail) leaving. 3-9 just doesn't give the field of view and quick aquisition needed for the close ones.

I tried carrying both the rifle and the shotgun for one season and gave up on that. Now, I usually select the shotgun unless the area gives open areas.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Most of the ground I am hunting is farm ground with trees on perimeter and 100-200 yards wide. I think I will buy a 22-250 for long shots and put a wide angle short distance focus scope on the 204. Will carry the 12 from now on. Just little more weight for my dumba$$ to carry. LOL.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePunisher View Post
Well I learned a good lesson tonight......my second time to coyote hunt. I went out about hour and half before sunset to a location that has coyotes all over it. Deep ravines with couple of hundred yards of trees flowing out into a corn field on side of a good hill. Creek running down bottom of corn field with trees and some open bottom ground. Wind was perfect blowing into face and little across left to right. Right at dark I was getting ready to leave and decided to play pup distress for about 3 or 4 minutes. Suddenly right in front of me walks a female coyote, 20 yards away at best. Guess what.......NO SHOTGUN. What a dumba$$. I could not get a focus on my DPMS 204 and didn't want to just take a wild shot so I just waited. Coyote stood for couple of minutes...then urinated...then walked to my left about 40 yards stopping twice to urinate. Then went back in front of me up the creek at a trot. It was dark to where I could not get a good focus so I thought I would wait for another day. But I know now that the coyote pup distress really works. From now on dumb me will carry the 12ga too !
You should have pulled that pistol out that you show in your picture!