www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Am I using the right calls

I have been getting coyotes to yip and howl back in several locations the last few nights but nothing seems to commit and then they shut up. I'm hunting at night in the fairly brushy woods in western ny and start with a single howl on a mouth blown call and then sit tight for 5 minutes or so. Then I might throw in a small burst of female yodel howl on the foxpro and again just sit and wait. I've been getting responses but nothing seems to be closing the distance. So I play around with a little distress and then wait again. After quite a while of silence some of them begin to yip and howl again on their own but still sound no closer. By the 30 minute mark I assume they're not going to come in so I relocate to a new stand and get similar results. Am I using the wrong sounds, calling too much, too little, not waiting long enough? Just looking for some tips to try tonight
Old 03-12-2016, 12:05 PM

I think it is just the nature of the beast. I have been getting the same results for about a month now. same happened last year. I have been checking a dead bull for about 3 weeks, they have not touched it, and they know it is there.

Last edited by old cat; 03-12-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Next time you howl, and they respond to you, as soon as they shut up, go to pup distress #3 on Foxpro.....typically, they will come in running hard. Always works for me with the pup distress when they are vocal. When they respond, once they silence themselves, wait about 1 min and put on pup distress and be ready. Just my experience. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 PM

They never seem to react the way I'd expect. Sometimes I wonder if I just over think the whole situation. That is some awesome advice california, I read all these posts about coyotes coming in silent but have had a hard time finding anything about how to respond to one that answers your call. I haven't been able to find real great sound clips of howls but from what I can find, it sounds like I was hearing invitation howls. They were real long howls that would start to waver towards the middle and continue wavering to the end. Not sure how else to describe them really. If I get any response this weekend I will let you know how the pup distress works out for me. Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:08 PM

Jonmp try some challenge barks or some female whimpers. Were in WNY are you Im the same its tough hunting.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 AM

I live in the Olean area, right near the ny/pa border. Most of the hunting I do is in cattaraugus county.