www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:03 PM

Default Rabbit Sounds Not Working Anymore??

I live in western Kansas and have been calling coyotes for about 7 years. I used to have great luck using rabbit distress sounds. I would start off with some howls and play rabbit sounds. Over the past few years it has became increasingly hard for me to call in coyotes on prey distress. I have switched to a lot of coyote vocals/distress/fighting sounds. Not sure if coyotes are being educated because of more people calling or what. Curious as to what everyone else is seeing.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:09 PM

Same here, I have not used rabbit sounds for a long time.
Birds or domestic dog some times
Coyote pup calls seem to work, we make a lot of coyote noises too.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:15 PM

I've always leaned toward the various bird in distress sounds. That said, I have used rabbit in distress and had success with them too. In recent years I have tried coyote, fox, deer, elk and antelope sounds and had success with those as well.
As far as animals (coyotes) becoming educated to certain sounds, I don't believe it happens as often as we think. They may respond to a certain sound, get shot at, missed and become a bit gun-shy for a while, but there as so many variations of say "rabbit" sounds that the chance of them hearing the same exact sound is remote. Coyotes and other predators are driven by hunger, curiosity, defense of young or territory. With Foxpros' extensive sound library, we have more than enough sounds even if we never use a rabbit in distress sound again. Just like fishing. If a certain lure or bait isn't catching fish, tie on something else.
I have a friend that uses nothing but rabbit in distress sounds on his Foxpro. He is still calling plenty of coyotes. Our area gets hunted hard. As far as I know the majority of hunters or at least the ones' that I talk to or follow still rely on rabbit sounds as their go-to sounds. E-callers are prevalent, but many are using mouth blown calls as well. All in all, I say do as a fisherman does and don't worry about what isn't working at the moment and give them something else to come check out.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:30 PM

I have seen on several occasions, a coyote coming in from over a mile away turn and run if I hit a rabbit sound. Only to come back after more coyote sounds or best pup in distress is played.
So now the only time I will use one is if I'm on a private ranch I know has not been called this year.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:31 PM

Maybe coyotes have seen that Monte Python movie (In Search of The Holy Grail?) where the cute little bunny is actually a blood thirsty killer?
Old 12-08-2022, 02:46 AM

We have pretty good results using Adult Rat Distress, Prairie Dog Distress and Vole Squeaks.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:45 PM

I live in wisconsin and the last few coyotes iv shot where rabbit distress. Last year I started using Prarie dog sounds and did fairly well, we don't have Prarie dogs here but it works.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk