View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
I just heard about this just a month ago myself, I was really wanting one of those 77/44's for deer hunting in lower Michigan (legal now).
It's bad news to hear for sure, to begin with there are only about five manufacturers making a rifle in .17Wsm at present. ( Savage, Volquartsen, Franklin Armory,Winchester, Jard ) and the last four I listed are off the map price wise, and to top it off even less making the ammunition in .17Wsm (Winchester & Federal)
I was lucky enough to find a Ruger this summer on sale at Davisons gallery of Guns on line for a little north of $600, now don't get me wrong I did put a Jard trigger in mine
because the trigger pull out of box was horrible (this is were Ruger was lacking IMO QC the details).
With that said I do like mine a lot, it shoots well and feels good in the hands and packs the punch of the .22 Hornet at a rimfire price.
I hope the ammunition continues to be available for it or I may wish I had never purchased it.
i have had 3 of the ruger 77/44 stainless and i thought the accuracy was poor on its best day// i believe this was due to the 1x20 twist / they didnt like any thing less than a 270 gn pill / my best was the 270 speer and the 300 sierra (when you can find it ) on the other hand the Marlin 1894 lever gun with its 1x38 twist seems to be accurate through the range of jacketed bullets and does really well with a tite fitting cast bullet. i have had 1 of the ruger 77/357 and the accuracy was excellant with cast and jacket bullets in 158 gn, the only problem with that rifle was feeding from the rotary mag with flat nose pills i am have the same problem with a ruger american in 300 blk out with every thing but pointed bullets// the ruger lever gun model 96/44 feels like it should be used to paddle a boat or club seals on the ice // i also have several of the ruger 77 in various calibers and i dont think there is a finer off the rack made hunting and general screwing around rifle //at present i have the 77/22 and 77/22 mag both excellant small game and pest shooting rifles