FOXPRO Forums

FOXPRO Forums (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/index.php)
-   Crow Hunting (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Record Crow Day! (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/showthread.php?t=14164)

Chris B 02-27-2018 09:25 AM

Record Crow Day!

After a few week break I decided to take a vacation day yesterday and go do some crow hunting at the farm we picked up this year. Let me tell you, this was one for the books! Got set up by sunrise and as soon as we heard the first crow sound off, we had a constant wave of singles and doubles dropping in to check us out. We stayed quiet, just responding w some light hand calls as needed. I ended up going 8 for 8 in the first hour! We didn’t even use the foxpro caller until noon, which by then we figured we had around 17. Of course we had some that hopped away and a couple that we hit and watched fly a few hundred yards before falling but we were on fire! The wind picked up for a few hours but playing two foxpro’s on high volume running crow fight (10 minutes on, 15 minutes quiet) helped us call in a handful in crappy conditions. The shooting definitely got tough in the high wind. From 4 to 5 o’clock the wind calmed a lot and we caught the groups heading back towards their roost and the shooting was hot again. We knocked down about 9 in that last bit of time just running dueling crow fights w the foxpros. Shattered our previous record of 18! One thing worth mentioning was that as we killed a few crows, we’d go out and set them up and incorporate them into our decoy set. We have about 9 decoys and 1 scout that we start w but we found that the more dead crows we used in our setup, the easier it was to get them to drop in...even in the high winds
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cf47dfc3dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weasel 02-27-2018 05:16 PM

Excellent day!

Peanut 02-27-2018 08:48 PM

That's a great hunting day. Congratulations guys

2manyguns 02-27-2018 11:53 PM

great job guys

kec 02-28-2018 08:46 AM

what do you do with them?

Chris B 03-01-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kec (Post 86039)
what do you do with them?

Kec - as of right now we just dispose them. We talk about trying to eat one every time we go but so far we just haven’t been able to bring ourselves to do it lol.

kec 03-01-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris B (Post 86046)
Kec - as of right now we just dispose them. We talk about trying to eat one every time we go but so far we just haven’t been able to bring ourselves to do it lol.

thanks - was wondering if you found any value in them other than the hunting experience. Some probably wonder why one would just kill crows and dispose of them with no added value other than the hunting experience. Being a crow and waterfowl hunter myself, crows tend to do a lot of crop damage (mellons/fruits-in the east), as well as destroy waterfowl and other nesting bird eggs and turtle eggs. Not to mention their natural destructive and annoyance characteristics. Just thought some might want to know that killing them does serve a purpose and they are NOT just being killed without merit.

just thought I'd pass that along for those who may be on the fence for hunting them. I use my crow meat for channel cat fish and other catfish bait - try it you might like it. I would never eat one...lol!

Chris B 03-01-2018 09:39 AM

Well said, kec. I get asked what we do w them constantly and I dread it every time bc I figure I’m about to get lectured on how I kill them for “nothing”. But you’ve explained why I do it perfectly. And I’m going to give my hunting partner the idea about catfish bait. He fishes for cats quite a bit in the spring and uses chunked up chub or sucker pieces. Using crow would definitely help us to put them to more use

fratri 03-01-2018 08:12 PM

Looks like a lot of fun, congrats

long shot 02-11-2020 07:27 PM

Good job
I use mine for coyote bait