FOXPRO Forums

FOXPRO Forums (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/index.php)
-   Predator Hunting (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Dead cow, call or no call ? (http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/showthread.php?t=14461)

camo 01-08-2019 06:41 PM

Dead cow, call or no call ?

went to a place at 3.30 pm. for the first time & was going to try calling in some yotes in a confined area from the guy's tree stand. took my 12 gauge with OO Buck. When i got there, there was already a coyote near the stand ! It was about 50 to 75 yards away & didn't spot me. Then another smaller one behind it. Not sure if i should wait, turn the caller on, or shoot. they started to walk away broadside so i took the shot on the smaller one. Knocked it down then it got up & ran off. Couldn't find blood or yote but did find where they were going. A dead cow about 125 yards away in a ditch with just a little eating done to it. SO, I'm sure others will be there for the feast soon. since they now have a 1000 pound food source , can i call them to me ??? If so, which call's. Or should i try to work with the wind & try to pick them off at the food source which will be more difficult due to the lay of the land / tree's / fence, ect. please advise ?

XNAVYORDIE 01-08-2019 06:54 PM

I'd ditch the shottie and bring a rifle......that was a long poke for a 12ga spitting 00 buck....jus say'n

Fla_dogman 01-08-2019 06:56 PM

I'd call sporadically with coyote vocals. Not too long and change it up , use pup distress too.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

camo 01-08-2019 07:29 PM

Had I been in the tree stand where I wanted to be the longest shot would have been 50 yards that's why I took the shotgun.

XNAVYORDIE 01-08-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camo (Post 87686)
Had I been in the tree stand where I wanted to be the longest shot would have been 50 yards that's why I took the shotgun.

I would still bring a capable rifle......turkeys at 50yds are one thing with a shotgun.....yotes are another....just my opinion.

camo 01-09-2019 08:33 AM

Makes sense on the coyote vocals since they're going to have all the food they need, i doubt they would come to a distressed rabbit, thanks for the input.

Night Eyes 01-09-2019 09:12 AM

I agree with coyote vocals parodically, maybe coyote fight scenario. I would also test the range and pattern on that shotgun. I think the farther you stay away from that carcass the better. Maybe try to find their travel pattern and set up an ambush point. Once you start blasting them close to the carcass they will associate danger with it. Try to give them a few days or better to calm down.

Fla_dogman 01-09-2019 09:17 AM

If you have it you might try a coyote fight call, let us know how and what works

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sonny Pruitt 01-09-2019 09:52 AM

I hear that alot, "I knocked that sucker down" and then!!!

Just sayin'

DAA 01-09-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camo (Post 87703)
Makes sense on the coyote vocals since they're going to have all the food they need, i doubt they would come to a distressed rabbit, thanks for the input.

I have called many coyotes off of carcasses with rabbit distress. I have called many coyotes off of fresh kills - arriving at the call with faces soaked and dripping blood.

Hunger is way, way, WAY over rated as any kind of motivation for coyotes responding to a distress call. It's excitement, the thrill of killing, that triggers them. The LOVE TO KILL. They come running to rabbit with the same look on their face my dogs do when I ask them if they want to go for a walk or play catch.

Coyotes routinely kill without eating. I have seen it many, many times. Coyotes in my part of the country rarely have any problem getting all they need to eat. I'd expect it is even easier for coyotes back east.

Hunger no doubt plays a role some of the time. But I think it's a very minor role, all things considered. I hear people talk about it like hunger is "the thing". Personally, I don't think it is.

- DAA