PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the dead crows?

Bulletproof JBE
02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
A buddy and I are going to do some Crow hunting next week for the first time. Is there anything creative you can do with the crows that is inexpensive? Maybe as some type of homemade mount or something to that effect? Will a taxidermist mount a crow?

Thanks

Weasel
02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
I had one crow mounted and my taxidermist told me he would never do another. I guess he didn't like the smell? Some Native Americans use the feathers in a variety of ways. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find a few projects that use crow feathers. If you have local tribes they may want any feathers you don't use, but you'll have to ask them.
You could save a few to make predator decoys (feather on a stick).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Weasel-UT/Decoys%201/IMG_1790.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Weasel-UT/media/Decoys%201/IMG_1790.jpg.html)

Bulletproof JBE
02-19-2014, 08:03 PM
good idea weasel thanks for the info. Didn't even think about using the feathers for Predator Decoys.

How much did the taxidermist charge you if you don't mind me asking?

XNAVYORDIE
02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Breast them out. Slice breast into medallions and put in a tupperware bowl or freezer bag. Per breast add cup of Dr Pepper (or Mr Pibb) and cup of Jack Daniels. Seal and place in fridge over night. Light the grill. Sear both sides over direct heat about a minute per side. Move to indirect heat 2 min one side 1 minute the other. Place over rice. Pour a cold beer into frosted mug for yourself and some red wine for your partner of choice... Enjoy...

oh wait....thats for Pheasant.....;)

Weasel
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
My taxidermist probably charged $25 or less, but it was many, many years ago.

Possumal
02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
"4 and 20 blackbirds, baked up in a pie". Yummy.

Andrew Lewand
02-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Breast them out. Slice breast into medallions and put in a tupperware bowl or freezer bag. Per breast add cup of Dr Pepper (or Mr Pibb) and cup of Jack Daniels. Seal and place in fridge over night. Light the grill. Sear both sides over direct heat about a minute per side. Move to indirect heat 2 min one side 1 minute the other. Place over rice. Pour a cold beer into frosted mug for yourself and some red wine for your partner of choice... Enjoy...

oh wait....thats for Pheasant.....;)

Ha Ha, this is made me laugh... and I needed a laugh today :)

XNAVYORDIE
02-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Ha Ha, this is made me laugh... and I needed a laugh today :)

Everyone needs to laugh......life is short.

Ramrod
02-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Breast them out, cut into small pieces, spread on top of snow cover ground, Great bait pile . And Shoot more crows.

Basdjs
02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Which ever one of you shoots the most cooks...the loser eats!

peltcollector
02-25-2014, 12:25 AM
I pile them up and hunt coyotes and fox over them .

todd white
02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
breast them out, cut into small pieces, spread on top of snow cover ground, great bait pile . And shoot more crows.

lol👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

QUATTRO
02-28-2014, 06:05 PM
I cut their feet off, pose them into the middle finger position with wire and dry them in corn meal and then hand them out as gag gifts to hang from the rearview...yea I know, real mature..

riss6270
02-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Good crow recipe. Family tradition.
Min 10 crows.

Cut the breast mean out. Soak it in salt water for 3 days. Get a large soup pan. Fill about 3/4 full of water. Add some salt pepper vegetables and stuff. Bring to boil. Drop the crow breast in and turn heat on low. Place lid on top. This is very important step. Place a brick on top of the lid. Keep the steam inside. Let simmer for 3 hours. Take the brick off and the lid as well. Let cool. Dump soup pan out and eat the brick.

XNAVYORDIE
02-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Good crow recipe. Family tradition.
Min 10 crows.

Cut the breast mean out. Soak it in salt water for 3 days. Get a large soup pan. Fill about 3/4 full of water. Add some salt pepper vegetables and stuff. Bring to boil. Drop the crow breast in and turn heat on low. Place lid on top. This is very important step. Place a brick on top of the lid. Keep the steam inside. Let simmer for 3 hours. Take the brick off and the lid as well. Let cool. Dump soup pan out and eat the brick.

Apparently my wife has that same cookbook.....all her meals hit me like a ton of bricks.

jerhunts
02-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Skin them soak them in gas for a day to dissolve the oils and fats to keep them from rotting sow them up leaving a small hole in them. Take to the local build a bear store and stuff full. My local taxidermist charges 200.00 for a duck and the work would be the same for a crow.

FoxBlaster
02-10-2015, 11:44 PM
You can freeze them whole and use them for trapping makes great eye appeal at your sets super duper coyote flat set also good for windicators at your deer stands just tie em to tree branches with lite fishing line

XNAVYORDIE
02-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Or..........when the Mother-N-Law visits.......; )

duckstopper
02-16-2015, 02:55 PM
I use them on my coyote bait piles.