PDA

View Full Version : Crow advice!

Jerred
01-03-2014, 02:39 AM
We have a unbelievable amount of crows on our hunting land do i just set my call out there and turn on a crow sound? do i need a decoy?any specific sounds?

brimmyfish
01-03-2014, 08:25 PM
If you are hunting fields then decoys would probably be your best bet when you set your call up. We tend to hunt small standing pines around here. The trees are thick and only 15 ft tall or so. It forces the crows to fly in close to see what the fuss is all about. We don't use decoys with this type of setup. Good luck!!

Jerred
01-04-2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the reply our hunting land is/was (its being clear cut) standing pines about 45-60ft tall ill try it on the few trees we have left!

tomahawkwis
01-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I hunt crows in a clear cut.which is good because there are no high trees to land in. you need 100% camo,we use camo netting to make a blind.you MUST be not seen from above!!! we lay down a full bodied deer decoy within shotgun range of our blind with a red rag at the belly,with a few crow decoys,and if you have a remote control decoy, put a halloween bat on it or a black rag.(without movement they will rarely come in) also we cut out of corrugated plastic some crow profiles,painted em FLAT black,tied mono fishing line to them with a big fish hook on other end and hang em in small trees and brush around deer.they move in slighest breeze,I use crow gathering and dieing crow on my foxpro.bring lots of shells!!! they taste good with onions and potatoes LOL hope this helps

Jerred
01-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks im going to try this!

sginmo
01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't use decoys very much but when I do I also use a rabbit decoy. I play crow gathering and use a rabbit in distress hand call. works pretty well for me. camo is a must and as long as you are in full camo a blind isn't necessary. Another sequence that works well for me is start out playing crow owl fight for a few minutes then switch to dying crow for a bit. usually you can call em in the first few times without decoys but after that I found you need em to bring em in close for a shot.