PDA

View Full Version : Crow Hunting?

demetric
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
What is the best hours for crow hunting 1st hour of daylight or noon or afternoon? How often do you hunt the same area? Thank you.

Blood
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Mourning is usually the best time here in SC . The afternoons are productive but you may have to work a little harder. Here we have alot of planted pines that are 20 years old that we hunt in because we can get the crows to come in for a closer look. Decoys work ok but we have had alot of crows hang up for awhile before they come in . Make them come find the fight ,they love to start them. Crow and owl is our #1 call , crow and hawk , crows gathering , and deathcry of crow work well also. We usually hunt 1 day a week and we try to make the same stands every other time. They can get smart quick so mix it up as much as you can.

demetric
01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Blood...Thank you for your response. I have a pond on the hill and shot a box of ammo in 15 minutes 2 weeks ago and haven't got anymore to come in since then at that one particular spot. I was using a Remington 1187 12 ga. with a modified choke and never dropped one of them but it was fun. Most of them were around the 40 yard mark and I'm using 7 1/2 shot in dove loads not sure about that being powerful enough. It does seem the crows send in a scout to my position though. That day I bet I had 30 or more crows circling my call at the same time. My 12 year old is going with me tommorrow with his 20 ga. Have a good day.

Blood
01-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Shells are just fine and mod. choke works great too. Work on leading them some ? Good luck to both of you !

demetric
01-16-2010, 12:02 PM
My son is using a 20 ga. Mossberg Bantum with a 22 inch barrel is modified good or would you use a different choke? This is a good learning experience for the both of us so were having fun shooting just not hitting them right I guess. Were going back out in the morning and try it again and he really like this better than dove hunting so far, but we only have 2 crow calls on the FX-3 and they work for a little while then after we shoot they stay in the trees calling and wont come back in, but that is normal I guess. Thank you for the help.

demetric
01-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I almost forgot to ask are you shooting the crows flying or landed?

Blood
01-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Glad to here that you are takeing your son ,20ga with mod choke should work fine. Crows will get smart to the same sounds quick so try getting some new ones asap . 99% of the crows we kill are flying , but if they land take that high % shot . Good luck !

coyotecontroler
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
When they fly off and you can hear them in trees calling, try turning off your caller and be quiet for 10 - 20 minutes and try again. This works SOMETIMES for me.

drslyr
02-13-2010, 03:18 AM
I got bored with predators cause i havnt been having much luck,so i went crow hunting the other day. I live near the conn. river in mass, and we have crow roosts near the river. There have even been articles in the local paper about the crow problem. Anyway i went out to a spot i know where i can intercept them heading to their roost. At about 4pm i turn on the fx3 crow fight.In abot 5 min. ive got 5 to 600 screaming crows around me.circling diving screaming.I got 2 shots off and missed and that was it game over.

coyotecontroler
02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
A lot of people say keep changing sounds while on stand to keep them coming. Might not work if they are heading to roost, but might work earlier in day. Wow, thats a lot of crows. I feel good when I get 10 or 15 working.

Furtaker 22-250
02-20-2010, 02:16 AM
You all eat crow? or just target practice? i can eat a cat or coyote but crow isnt all that good.

coyotecontroler
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Crow needs to be marineded in terriyaki for 2 days before cooking. Slice the breast into strips as thick as your thumb, put on bamboo skewers and grill untill done. That is what I would do IF I WAS GOING TO TRY IT. Crow season went out here yesterday, so I'll start buying ammo for next fall. Went for a quick stand yesterday evening, killed 2, missed 2.