PDA

View Full Version : decoys

sginmo
10-28-2013, 02:39 PM
anybody use decoys for crow hunting on here? Crow season starts in a few days here in Mo. and I've never tried decoys because I've had good luck without em. but i want to try em to see if the bring in even more crows

Glen
11-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I use decoys every time out. Never less than 3. 2 feeders & a lookout. To as many as 14 which is all I have. When I use that many I will set out 2 or 3 lookouts. The owl decoys for us has made the crows flare way early. Not sure why. I just know when we put it back in the bag we start shooting.

If you're not using decoys now & are happy with the number of shots you're getting I wouldn't spend the money. On the other hand you might get more crows to respond. I have noticed a larger spread will bring in larger groups. I would rather have 2-3 at a time coming in.

sginmo
11-25-2013, 11:54 AM
i have homemade decoys. but have called in quite a few without them this season so far. but a rabbit decoy seems to help because of the sounds i use.

Glen
11-26-2013, 07:45 AM
I would think the crow decoys will work better later in the season for you then once the birds become call shy. I do know you can over use a certain type of setup. Such as the one you've been using. Being prepared for the changing attitude of the crow will be your best asset.

I've gone so far as to pick up all the decoys & just set the caller in some thick brush & work on their curiosity. Other days it's soft hand calls or nothing.