PDA

View Full Version : Fun Hunt -Try This Call

Derm
07-21-2013, 10:35 PM
I was hunting coyotes in Elk county, SE Kansas in early May this year. And because I know crows will attack, kill and eat rabbits or any helpless animal I tried Foxpro's "Crow & Rabbit" mixed sound thinking coyotes would come to claim the rabbit. However, I was surprised when about 100 crows immediately arose from a cedar tree thicket and began circling me looking for the injured rabbit. Several different murders of crows came in over the next 45 minutes and many of them circled multiple times as I did not scare them off with shooting. Crow season had already closed and I am not a very good wing shot with my .223 in any case!!

My buddy was sick and stayed in the truck about 1/4 mile down a pasture road and asked me when I came to the truck at dark why I had not shot the 2 coyotes that came in 15 minutes after I left the truck. I was set up against a tree trunk and they came in behind me so they likely scented me and left while I was watching hundreds of crows circle me. It was fun even though I never shot. Steve

Weasel
07-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a great experience to me. I'm sure we'd be surprised at the number of coyotes, fox and especially bobcats that come in and are never seen.

Possumal
07-22-2013, 07:03 PM
You got that right, Weasel. As for crow sounds, I have had a lot of coyotes respond to a crow swarm type of sound. It is a good trick to pull on a call shy coyote.

GTOHunter
07-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Sounds like You had Fun.....I do the same thing when Hunting is slow,I hit Crows,Crow Fight and then Crows & Rabbit and see how many Crows I can fool or get to come in close?I usually get a pretty Group of Crows around me and since I've been by myself its hard telling what Predators have come in the thick woods and I coudn't see them? ;)

Weasel
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
I often call in the ravens, crows, magpies and blue-jays at the beginning of a stand. They are great lookouts and raise a fuss when a predator is approaching. I couldn't begin to count the number of times birds have alerted me to an approaching predator.

SWAMPBUCK10PT
07-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Me to Guys-- Many times I start a set with Dying crow sounds-get the real crows in squaking and circleing about --than use my hand call Bunny distress[etc] togather with the crow sounds--and many times Mr Coyote appears---Be ready this is a GOOD set-up--------This use to be a Notell'em sequence-----sb

Derm
07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Me to Guys-- Many times I start a set with Dying crow sounds-get the real crows in squaking and circleing about --than use my hand call Bunny distress[etc] togather with the crow sounds--and many times Mr Coyote appears---Be ready this is a GOOD set-up--------This use to be a Notell'em sequence-----sb
Thx, I will try that sequence this fall. So why did you decide to share it at this time? :tiphat: Steve/"Derm"

Derm
08-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a great experience to me. I'm sure we'd be surprised at the number of coyotes, fox and especially bobcats that come in and are never seen.
W, yes, I believe it would likely be over 50% of the predators we call in that we never see. Several times I have briefly seen one coming in at 50-60 yards through a bean field or winter wheat and then they just disappear and I was perfectly still so I assume they scented me. Also, when using a hand call (or FoxPro & you decide to change the sound) I think they detect movement and focus on you then make you and leave without your ever knowing they were there. I have had them come in behind me several times to within 10 yards and would not have known except once my then 14 y.o. grandson heard a guttural growl and looked behind us and another time my long-time 30 year Texas Aggie friend --- all they say about them in jokes, etc. is true by the way --- set up 100 yards from me when I called and watched a coyote ease in within 5 yards behind me and he might have tried the shot except he had forgotten to load. One more exciting example is while calling yotes on Big Island at the confluence of the Mississippi & Arkansas Rivers in March with a mouth call a black bear came in between my brother and me and stood up 5 yards behind me to check me out over a blow down :eek: -- I never saw him but did hear him leave quickly after he spotted me. Brother had a .270 and was ready to shoot had he come over the blow down! Steve/"Derm"

SWAMPBUCK10PT
08-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Thx, I will try that sequence this fall. So why did you decide to share it at this time? :tiphat: Steve/"Derm"

Gett'en OLD Derm--:confused::confused:-and I'd hope that it would help you kill many coyotes cause they need kill'en--:)------Good luck with your call'en---"Shoot'em Dead"--:)

FearNot
12-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I just loaded that one in my blaster

Derm
01-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Yes, my oldest grandson has on several occasions heard one behind us and I had no clue it was there. One yote was very low growling about 5 yards behind us and, I expect, trying to figure us out as the wind was in our favor with him. Mason quickly turned and shot with his shotgun but did not get him as he is right handed and tried to turn that way but could not get far enough around to hit him. I told him with a shotgun he could have just as easily shot left handed and he likely would have connected.

On another hunt in SE Kansas I heard something walking in a hedge row behind us but never saw it and then Mason, who was five yards to my left, started pointing and I never saw because I was set up to look to my right with him to the left. It was a large bobcat was just a few yards in front of him and wanted to know if it was OK to shoot it. :rolleyes: I told him to not ask just shoot if in range. It was at the end of our set up when he told me about the cat and I decided to try to call it back and did but decided it was not going to happen and we got up only to see the cat about 50 yards to our left tight to the hedge row and coming! :eek: Steve/"Derm"