PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon after a crow!

jgh4445
04-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Didn't know a coon would come to a crow call. I was calling crows this afternoon, not having much luck so I decided to try a struggling crow call on my FX-5. I had the call set on the ground in a food plot by a creek. The plot was grown up about a foot and a half high. After about 5 minutes on the call, here comes a BIG coon running straight at my caller like a coyote would. He came up from the creek that runs by the plot. I led him a bit with heavy game load 7 1/2 and touched the trigger on my brand new, never been hunted with Vinci. He rolled. Then he got up and started running off. I rolled him again and same thing, he gets up and continues to run. Rolled him a 3rd time and this stood him on his head. He kicked his back legs out straight in the air, put them on the ground and ran again! He made it into the thick woods and I was not able to recover him. I think the high grass was stopping a lot of shot and the high wind wasn't helping either. I was shooting at about 35 steps. Sure was surprised to see a coon acting like a predator. This was a first for me.

12ganumber4
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
hey the very firt time in my life i was calling crows 7 coyotes came running in . i guess if they think there is one hurt its a free meal . to this day i still call one in once in a while with strugleing crow .

TimberFox
04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
I'd say the 7 1/2 shot was to light for the hide.

Predator53
04-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I agree 7.5 is too light..try useing number 6or 4 shot..or a 22....sounded funny....I seen a coon chasing squrriels this past bow season....climbed the trees after them. LOL

jgh4445
04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
I was crow shooting. The coon just showed up. I shot him with what I had. Yeah..wish I had had some 4's.