PDA

View Full Version : Flying crows

drslyr
03-09-2013, 06:19 AM
I'm using a remington 1100 semiauto with a 30in hastings barrel and extra full turkey choke. I cant hit these dam crows. O yeah #6 shot. I've tried up to a 5ft lead. I've tried modified and improved cylinder. I've shot dead on. nothing. What am i doin wrong?I'm a decent trap and skeet shooter.Gone 50 straight on skeet on occasion.The only thing i can think of is that their out of range. Its hard to judge when their flying by.

QUATTRO
03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Crows are like the coyotes of the sky as far as sense of sight and intelligence and can pull off some pretty amazing in flight moves to boot. We just try to call and decoy them in as close as possible and let the shells fly

Weasel
03-09-2013, 02:09 PM
You didn't say if you are pass shooting or shooting over decoys.
At any rate.....
I'm no expert by any means, but I have had better luck with #7-1/2 and #8 shot. Pattern your gun with different loads and chokes.

drslyr
03-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Weasel I'm pass shooting alright. I'm passing up every crow that flys by!!!!!!

brimmyfish
03-10-2013, 09:48 PM
We used to shoot 20 ga. 6 shot with modified chokes and didn't have any problem knocking them down. Now we have switched to shooting 12 gauges. I'm shooting 1 1/8 oz hand loads in 6 and 8 shot. Either one knocks crows dead from a long ways out. A friend of mines dad shoots them with a 28 ga and seems to kill them as high if not higher than we are with the 12's. (he's one heck of a shot with any shotgun...lol) I have noticed that since I started handloading for 12 ga that I tend to kill them at longer ranges more consistently. I'm loading about mid range on the powder charge recommendations and these loads chronographed at 1450 fps. Sorry to ramble on hope this helps, bc they are definitely tough rascals to kill.

Bob Aronsohn
03-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Most crows are killed 40 yards and under.

In my opinion I think that 7 1/2's and 8's are pretty hard to beat out of a modified choke. I went out on 27 crow hunts this season and shot 3,087 crows, all were shot with a 12 gauge trap load in 7 1/2's and 8's. I use a pair of 12 gauge model 391 Beretta's.

A lot of guys tend to over lead crows. If you are using the pull through or snap shooting method then as soon as you see daylight in front of there beaks slap the trigger, and keep following through with your swing, don't coast to a stop or your going to shoot behind the bird.

zr2paul
04-02-2013, 11:05 AM
I use to do the same thing with crows...giving too much lead. Im use to waterfowl hunting so that was my problem. Since then I just follow through with my shots and shoot right in front of them. I've had a few friends come out with me and they had the same problem and I told them not to give so much of a lead and shortly after they were knocking them out of the sky.

Paul

diyj98
10-25-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm using a remington 1100 semiauto with a 30in hastings barrel and extra full turkey choke. I cant hit these dam crows. O yeah #6 shot. I've tried up to a 5ft lead. I've tried modified and improved cylinder. I've shot dead on. nothing. What am i doin wrong?I'm a decent trap and skeet shooter.Gone 50 straight on skeet on occasion.The only thing i can think of is that their out of range. Its hard to judge when their flying by.

Trying to shoot them out of range might be your biggest problem.

TimberFox
10-25-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd guess range would be your problem. Crows are actually pretty easy to bring down. I killed lots of them with a 20 gauge side by side choked modified and full. I used 1 ounce of 7 1/2's in 2 3/4" hulls.

Glen
11-25-2013, 07:12 AM
I use an 870 in 20ga with a 7/8oz load of 7 1/2's. Kills them out to 40yds when I can hit them that far out. Most of my shots are under 30yds.

IMO trap/skeet doesn't completely prepare you for wing shooting. Real birds don't fly the same as clay birds. My toughest shots are the ones that just seem to be hanging in the air & not moving. But they are!! lol

Huntinfool
02-14-2014, 02:17 AM
I find it better to use mod or full but a turkey choke throws a tight pattern!

I'd definitely try a less tight choke! And like others have said you rarely ever have to lead a crow more than a foot or so.

Many times you just follow the old adage, butt, belly, beak, boom lead them by a foot or less and swing through!

~CBHF~