PDA

View Full Version : distress sounds for crows

iabear
02-16-2013, 04:15 PM
When I crow hunt with or without decoys using Foxpro Fury crow sounds I have the crows come in and fly away. When I coyote hunt using distress rabbit sounds crows continue to circle and stay in range. Anybody else agree with that. Next time I crow hunt I am going to just use distress rabbit sounds... I am new to predator and crow hunting. Any suggestions will help..

Derm
02-17-2013, 08:23 PM
When I crow hunt with or without decoys using Foxpro Fury crow sounds I have the crows come in and fly away. When I coyote hunt using distress rabbit sounds crows continue to circle and stay in range. Anybody else agree with that. Next time I crow hunt I am going to just use distress rabbit sounds... I am new to predator and crow hunting. Any suggestions will help..
IABear, I have observed the same as you described but it does not always happen that way. The key is staying out of their sight as crows have a better vantage point to see you than yotes. Particularly with crows that been called to a lot with crow sounds might would be better with prey in distress. On set ups when you decide to try prey in distress sounds to call crows consider turning on FoxBang and have "Dying Crow" on preset 1 and it may keep the crows there longer and/or they will come back to check at least once for the "injured" crow and you can get more shooting.

My typical set up for crows I begin with "crows gathering" then to "crow fight" or "crow & hawk" fight or "crow & owl" fight. If you are hidden well they sometimes will circle more than once and with the Foxbang set to "dying crow" or whatever it helps. I plan to try using a prey in distress as preset 1 with FoxBang especially if doing a crow fight with crows, owls or hawks as that seems it would be a good technique if they really believe a fight over prey is occurring.

Steve/"Derm"

iabear
02-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks Steve

midmotrapper
02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Ive specifically called in crows with lightning jack on more then one occasion.

Derm
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Ive specifically called in crows with lightning jack on more then one occasion.
I have called crows in multiple times using a mouth call prey in distress such as Primos sells and a few others. I always take 3 mouth calls when turkey hunting, deer hunting or even predator hunting with FoxPro in case batteries run down or whatever. Crows will come to any of the 3 mouth calls I use and if coyote hunting I do not shoot crows with expensive Dead Coyote shells but when crows are circling and calling it seems to me it makes the coyotes more confident and they come on in.

In October is SE Kansas I took my 6 year old grandson on his first combo hunt for predators and fall turkey. We were over-run with crows each time I called predators. It was entertaining for both of us and impressed him. In retrospect, I should have taken some 2 3/4 each shells and shot some crows for him! He learned to identify yote tracks and, of course, deer tracks he already knew. I forgot my flash light the second morning and while we were walking in to set up in the dark for turkeys he asked "Do bobcats eat people?" It is a hunt I will never forget!!

Steve/"Dermott"