PDA

View Full Version : Load and choke

brimmyfish
04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
What kind of loads are you guys using for crows? Also what kind and constriction choke?

13a19195
04-03-2012, 06:31 AM
12 gauge, full choke, #4, off the shelf Remington and Winchester shells. Disclaimer: I'm new to the sport this year and have only shot six crows, but I'm hooked and am getting better each time out (fewer shots per dead crow).

Ken Crotts
07-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Mr. Brimmyfish,
I have been crow hunting for over 40 years. I use No. 7.5 and No. 8 shot. I never use anything larger than No. 7.5. You need a dense pattern of shot to kill crows. No. 4 shot does not give a dense enough pattern to be very successful, unless you keep all shots under 25-30 yards.

You must pattern your gun with several different shells, and DON'T rely on the choke marking to understand what kind of pattern your gun and shell are shooting. A full choke may not pattern but a 55% pattern. A modified choke can easily pattern "full".

Crows are not hard to kill, if you are a reasonably good shot. I use cheap shells with 1 1/8 oz. of shot, and 3 dram equivalent of powder, which is 1200 fps in a 12 Ga. gun. There is a lot of difference in shotgun shells. Expensive target quality shells are more reliable than cheap shells, but cost a lot more.

I suggest you go to www.crowbusters.com website, if you have'nt already, and read everything on there. A lot of good infor, by knowledgeable people, and a lot of b.s. too!

KenCrow

Ken Crotts
07-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Mr. Brimmyfish,
I did'nt notice you live in Surry County, N.C. until I re-read your post.
I live in Winston Salem! 336-775-2987.

KenCrow

predator77
07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Are you guys talking about regular bird shot or high brass?

Gadget Bob
08-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi BFish and 77,

As Ken stated, 7.5's and 8 are best on crows. The premium target loads from Remington (Nitro Golds) and Winchester (AA) are hard to beat.

Since my TCP crew uses Metro barrels, we use the new Federal Metro Load (Subsonic) with 7.5's. It works great, too.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,