PDA

View Full Version : Crow Calls-When/which to use

zr2paul
03-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I think I have all the crow calls that FoxPro offers on their list including Bob's. Now from what i understand there are soft and hard calls....whats the difference? Which are concidered soft and hard? When do you use them? Thanks!

Paul

diyj98
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
For years I've used a general "crows fighting" sound for 90% of my shooting. First the old Johnny Stewart track, now Foxpro.

zr2paul
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Crows Fighting and I think it's Crow Party is what I used in the past religiously and had decent results but I know I can do better because I would have so many come within 70 yards and just circle and circle and not get any closer. I was perfectly camo'd and covered well so I know thats not the problem. I tried different decoy set ups and I would still get the crows hanging at 70yards so I know it has to do with the calling I'm choosing.

Paul

diyj98
03-23-2012, 08:11 AM
I've always felt when they come in and swing off out of range it's a visual thing. Either they've seen me or something else they don't like.

zr2paul
03-23-2012, 10:40 AM
I dont think so in my case...I was hunting alone and my camo and coverage is excellent...its so good that I can get crows landing 15yards in front of me. My issue is that out 10 crows that come around 1 maybe 2 will come into shooting distance...am Im not talking flocks of 10...I'm saying crows coming in pairs or on their own. I strongly believe it's got to do something with the sounds I use. Ive tried different decoy setups (owl, few crows, lots of crows, crows on trees, both tree and ground, etc.).

Paul

diyj98
03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
If your hunting in an area where the crows get a lot of pressure, they could be a bit call shy. Who knows another crow series might do the trick. I used to use a crow/hawk fight some with good results.

zr2paul
03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Went out this past Saturday and we shot 2, missed 2 and probably had at least 30 birds come in but at 60-100 yards out. The birds that we shot/missed were all 30yard birds. Nobody hunts crows in this area...I can guarantee that.

Possumal
03-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Fellows, you need to get Bob Aronsohn's dvd's and his audio cd's. You learn more from watching how he sets up and how he uses decoys. IMO, most of the crows who come in but shy away are not seeing anything to support the racket they responded to. A live hawk and the crippled crow are hard to beat.

NHhunter
03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
I grew up hunting crows on our PA farm using our nature voice and then on a mouth call. So Iím new to using e-caller (Firestorm) for crow hunting. This is my first season using it so Iím by no means an expert at it nor do I have hunts with 100 crows stacked up. I could if I was better wing shooter but itís coming back to me. Anyways, from what Iíve experienced with my crow thumpin outings, is the crow fight seems to be the sound that really draws them in. I like to use the crows 2 sound to get the attention of crows flying by at a distance and then hit recall to hit them with the crow fight. On Sunday I turned on the Fox Bang but never got to use it. I was going to load up the struggling crow as my Fox Bang sound.

Over all though I use the crow fight at 8 or 9 volume and it seems to pull them in good. Those that turn away half way in have been turned back by throw the struggling crow at them. Iíd experiment with ALL the crow sound and take metal notes as to what worked and what didnít. Also do it several times and not just on one hunt. Different set up, times of the year and day could change up their response to the different sounds.

As for when to use the sounds, knowing when and when not to call is something that youíll get with dirt in the tread of your boots and lead flying. A lot depends on the birds in your area, how hard theyíve been called to or hunted and how you read them. I stand quiet most of time until I heard a crow or see them and then hit the call on. Thatís the one reason while I like the crows 2 sound because it doesnít drown out my hearing of the real crows. If Iím standing around with nothing happening to the crows 2 sound, Iíll turn on the crow fight (or any other sound) for about a minute and then mute it to listen if itís attracted crows in the distance.

Here are the photos from this years hunts. Iím starting to get dialed in on my led and range so hopefully my dead crow numbers will improve before our early season is over.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/MK-M-GOBL/NH2012Crow.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/MK-M-GOBL/NH2012Crow3-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/MK-M-GOBL/NH2012Crow5-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/MK-M-GOBL/NH2012Crow6-1.jpg
I hope this helps ÖÖÖÖÖ..Good Luck & Hunt Safe

diyj98
03-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I've never don't think crow hunting is rocket science. They have very little brain power, but fantastic eye sight. Over hunting the same area does tend to "educate" them and of course leaves less crows for future shooting :) 99% of the time I'm too lazy to set up decoys, but they sure can't hurt. I've even gather up a few dead ones to hang in tree limbs as decoys.

NHhunter
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Well Iím not sure about your statement that they have very little brain power ;) Check out the http://www.crowbusters.com/facts.htm Below is a quote taken from the ďHabitsĒ section lower down on the pageÖ

ďThe crow is probably the most intelligent bird on this continent and is well known for its ability to detect trouble. Crows quickly learn that a moving car is no danger, but will rapidly flee if the driver stops and gets out. In areas where they are constantly hunted, they learn the difference between a hunter with a gun and a farmer with farming implements. This degree of wariness is enhanced as the year progresses due to constant persecution by man. Crows use a system of guards that observe and sound warnings to all other crows in the area. These sentinels guard fields of feeding crows. They also send scouts in advance of feeding forays to check for danger.Ē

I'm sure that if you did a search for other information on crows you would find the same thing, that they are incredibly intelligent birds.

diyj98
03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I think the key word in "very intelligent birds" is "birds".;) Out of animals with brains the size of the end of your thumb, they very well could be at the top, but I think it's more instinct then cognitive ability. I have a friend that think the wild turkey is a genius because he gets busted hunting them quite often. I've argued with him it's super eyesight and the evolutionary trait of running off at anything outside the normal that gets him busted!

Now if somebody could only explain to me why Mexico wants the darn things protected!

NHhunter
03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Now if somebody could only explain to me why Mexico wants the darn things protected!

That's easy....enchiladas & tacos! :D

I still think just by the way they can detect set ups or know to come in as high flyers in spots I've only hunted once means something to their ability to figure out somethings. You stated yourself over hunting the same area does tend to "educate" them means to me that that they do learn ;)

Give youtube a search on talking crows or crows doing tricks. Heck I didn't know a crow could talk until just the other day. Well I knew up here in NH they have at least one crow as a look out of highways and roads. He's usually up in a tree as look out to his buddies by yelling caaw..caaw!! :D

13a19195
04-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Really good tips and information. I have been experimenting with decoys this, my first season, and came up with a decoy design that I modified slightly to strengthen the wings, from a Sep. 1936 Popular Science (Google "crow silhouette decoy"). Their "feet" are black spring clips. It works. I made five that I place around a trash bag filled with bubble wrap and a couple of fast food containers. I learned years ago that crows, scavengers that they are, love trash/garbage.
Sometimes I place one decoy in a small tree along with my Spitfire. I have only one crow call that came with it, "Crow Fight." It works to bring them in and the "trash bag/garbage" surrounded by decoys brings them in lower (to die, if I'm lucky).
Hope this helps.
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/SouthHaven/Decoys1.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/SouthHaven/Decoyssetup1.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/SouthHaven/31MAR12Arvista2-1.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx51/SouthHaven/31Mar12SHRGC.jpg

Bob Aronsohn
08-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Don't sell crows short, they are ranked the 4th smartest bird in the world! Only some of the parrots that live to be 80 to 100 years old are smarter than crows; waterfowl and upland game birds don't even make it on the list!

SkyPup
08-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Crows are very smart for sure, I use Crow Party on my Prairie Blaster and they come in like made but usually hang out just out of range. I just ordered some Flambeau Crow decoys today.

One other thing, keep your eyes peeled for coyotes too as they often show up when I call in the crows too....