PDA

View Full Version : What time of year?

venatic
03-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Is there a time of year when you should NOT try to hunt crows?

I was wondering if during the spring they would be nesting and your success rate would go down and they would be difficult to call. If so when is a good time to crank back up. I have been planning to go after them here shortly but time is running out before the weather gets warm.

fratri
03-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Up here in Ontario we usually hunt them year round giving them a break only the spring as they are raising their young....so April May June...then hunt them the rest of the year... there is no closed season here in Ontario so its only a personal choice...

pmase
03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Missouri Crow season opens November 1st usually and runs through the first Saturday in March...

COYOTEECROWNEE
12-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Here in Louisiana we also have a crow season, I'm surprised to hear that any state doesn't have a closed season as I was under the impression that now a CROW is considered a migratory bird. I could be wrong!!!!!
Our season runs from Sept 1 thru January.
Try mixing in a motion decoy with your spread. I some times use a
Racoon skin wrapped around a football, just like Owls, they can"t a coon

Derm
02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Both Arkansas & Kansas have crow seasons. Missouri as well.

COYOTEECROWNEE - Ontario is not a state of the USA. The way I heard it is that the United States has a treaty with Mexico on migratory birds and the Mexicans wanted to protect a species of crow they have and asked that we limit hunting similar to other migratory birds and our U.S. Fish & Wildlife Agency agreed?? I believe this is correct?! Steve

diyj98
03-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Back before we had a season, the spring was a great time. If you got in near a nesting area they sometimes seemed to go crazy defending their area.

Bob Aronsohn
03-24-2013, 06:56 PM
For the guys that use the Run & Gun method you can get some pretty good action when the young crows start flying in early June. All through the summer months is a great time to get after them.

Guys who live in crow rich areas usually wait until fall to start hunting. Thats when the birds start to bunch up and you can field hunt them or flyway hunt them from one location where you don't have to move, you let the birds come to you.

Cody5F32
03-27-2013, 01:24 PM
In Vermont our Crow Season starts Mid-March and runs until the end of April, which seems strange in contrast to some of the other posts here.

12ganumber4
03-27-2013, 07:27 PM
no closed sea .son in alabama either , blast away