PDA

View Full Version : call choice

kacole
01-16-2012, 10:11 PM
i've been crow hunting for a few years with just a little sucess, i've been using a johnny stewart cassette caller. doesn't seem to be a bad call but i know that there's way better out there now days. what is the best call out there to call crows? it will be mainly for crow but i do want to try to get into coyotes. looking to upgrade to a better lighter call. what do i need?

Ohio.22-250killer
01-18-2012, 01:51 AM
i've been crow hunting for a few years with just a little sucess, i've been using a johnny stewart cassette caller. doesn't seem to be a bad call but i know that there's way better out there now days. what is the best call out there to call crows? it will be mainly for crow but i do want to try to get into coyotes. looking to upgrade to a better lighter call. what do i need?

I bought a Foxpro spitfire for $200 and it is awsome! I have called countless crows in with it and I am currently working on callin yotes in with it.

diyj98
01-20-2012, 08:44 AM
I used an old 8 track tape caller for probably 20 years, but finally switched over to a Spitfire last year. It does the job just fine and I can't see a need for anything more expensive for crows.

Glen
02-17-2012, 07:20 AM
I bought the FX3 just so I could load up one caller & call fox,crows,coyotes & raccoons. 32 sounds is way more than I need.

easyriver
02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
I haven't shot any, but I tried my Spitfire on the crows using one of the free FoxPro Sounds on their website. Its call # 277 Crow+Owl. Used it a few times. Let them gather and watch them hover just above the call (well within shotgun range). They soon get bored though since there is no decoys, or any other activity. Wait a few minutes and play it again.

Last time i was out i could see for a long ways off. Just to be silly i would watch for a few quite a ways off and then start the call to watch their reactions. Quite often i could see them turn towards the caller. Not always though, and i suspect that at their height, maybe the wind did not allow them to hear the caller. Lots of fun in between coyote stands.

hunter1966
02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
just starting out the spitfire I've killed a bunch of crows with mine.