PDA

View Full Version : high blue bird sky...no luck

skinny
01-16-2012, 09:21 PM
used my spitfire this weekend with no luck. called in plenty of crows but they all circled over my decoys probably 75 to 100 yrds. high. i was using crow fight but they would not commit. Was the blue bird sky the reason for them circling?

TimberFox
01-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Depends a lot on your setup. I have always had better luck calling crows with a "friendly" setup. I normally hunt harvested soybean fields and use 5-7 decoys. I like the Crows 2 sound on my Spitfire for this setup. When using the crow fight sound the crows expect to se a gathering of crows darting about in the air. If they come in and see a few decoys sitting on the ground and the crow fight sound playing it looks fishy. With the friendly setup you get 1 to 5 crows coming in here and there, makes for better shooting IMO. Also sunny days make decoys look more unrealistic. Next time out try a friendly setup with a more subtle sound selection and see what happens. Also don't play the sound constantly. I find a few series of caws and then 20-30 second pause will bring the birds in fairly consistently.

Another trick is to place a few empty cereal boxes around your decoys. It will look like the crows have found somthing to feed on. A road killed animal would probably work too.

Weasel
01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Cereal boxes.....sounds like it might work. One thing I've heard about, but never tried was using a rabbit hide splashed with red paint.

skinny
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
thanks for the info timberfox..

TimberFox
01-19-2012, 12:45 PM
You are more than welcome. I'm no pro at crow hunting, but have hunted them for years. I went to my 40th class reunion a few years back. A classmate that I hadn't seen for forty years walked up to me. First thing he said to me was "Hey, Dick, do you still hunt crows"? Amazing that was the first words out of his mouth. Guess my crow hunting stories from high school stuck with him. By the way, my answer was "I sure do, wanna go sometime"? Sad to say he never took me up on the offer.

diyj98
01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
I've never noticed a clear sky making any difference, but not being properly hid sure will. With no leaves in the trees this time of year, a long pine or pine thicket is about my only option for getting crows in close.

M12shooter
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Those are educated crows.