PDA

View Full Version : New To Crow, Got 4 on first trip

k6trouble
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm new to hunting crows and I thought I would try it out with my new foxpro spitfire and a few purchased sounds.

I would "run and gun" i guess ( learning terms from other posts ) because once I unloaded they didn't seem to come back.

I noticed that the "crows" call would cause them to mimic my call, the crow gathering would cause them to respond with different sounds, but both would get them to talk.

I noticed, that after I had them talking for a few minutes, if I kicked on the "crow fight", they would all (all that were currently responding to my other calls ) rush in and circle overhead. I left the call playing over and over, and they would never land... they just kept circling overhead.

If I was in the sun light, out in the open, or had reflective items (sunglasses) for them to see, they would dart off course about 65 yards out and sound a different sound ( assuming this is the alarm "hey yall, this crazy guy is trying to shoot us" sound. )

If I was silent for 20 minutes or so, and waited for crows to move in on their own and start talking, and then went directly to the "crow fight" call... they would come in like they were ready to fight and dive with wings tucked in like they were going to ram something.

Once I had it all figured out, I decided to setup and start shooting. Before I ever shoot, I had 10 or more birds coming in easily at once... and when they would be bored and leave, more would come it... After I shot, they left town. I called for 30 minutes after my first shot and they never came back. I walked about a quarter mile ( still within hearing distance of first spot ) and started calling again, they all came to the call again.

So am I gathering correct information here, or is this just a random set of events that I observed once that will probably never happen again?

long shot
01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Goose season is pretty much over now so I started hunting crows. the first day I got 30.the next time I went I got 3 the next time 1.The first time I used a motion decoy the next 2 I didn't ,it seems that motion is the way to go. Ill try to figure out how to post pics but I'm electronically challenged so there are no guarantees

k6trouble
01-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Seems like the crows love the evergreens... any ideas why?

Glen
02-17-2012, 07:18 AM
You are learning K6. Crows have excellent eyesight & are very observant & highly intelligent. You need to be hidden well. Get the sun at YOUR back preferrably & at the very least try to get it to your left or right & as it crosses it does so behind you.

The volume deal is what it is. Sometimes high constant volume & you get them to hang around for multiple shots. Sometime lower volume is the way to go. Pay attention & you'll see what they want for that day to a degree.

I shot 19 crows from one feeding setup over a picked bean field one AM. When I would hand call I got nothing. When I used the Crow Fight I got mobbed at low altitude. Literally 20-30 feet off the deck. After I got my shots they would bug out. I literally waited 15-20 minutes with NO sound then hit the Crow Fight again & back they would come & we would do it all over again. This went on from around 6:30AM til I ran out of shells around 9:30 or 10:00AM.

You never know what they want on any given day. :tiphat:

k6trouble
02-17-2012, 07:28 PM
i'll have to try that the next time out... stay tuned, i'll post updates.

Crxwolski
02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Crow fight is number one for me when I go out for them.