PDA

View Full Version : Crows

HenryA
11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, we got out for a good hunt on Saturday. Hunted a fall location in the morning and then a new one in the afternoon. We do not have the amount of birds that some of you lucky MidWest-West folks have but we have a healthy population. We had a great day and a fantastic shoot. We had one of our best days to date with 72 crows. Again, its been the increased knowledge that we have received from the DVD's, forum posts,and Foxpro caller(Used a Firestorm until my CS-24 arrived this week)

Anyone have any experience with reloading shot shells. I'm looking ofr a good lead recipe. I was using the Kent Velocity Diamond in number 8 and would love to load something close or identical to it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15592493@N02/6322889515/

-Henry

Weasel
11-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Excellent photo! :)

HenryA
11-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Picked up my CS-24, took it home and rearranged my sound list and was able to get out Sunday for a shoot. What was interesting was, we had a lull for quite sometime in the afternoon. We were able to see the flight path off about a mile(logistically we cannot get any closer) and were still seeing birds on the move. So we cranked the caller up to what we call 'Mental' as that is exactly what the call does to your cranium when its up so high. And boy did that work, we were able to start another good stream of a couple of birds every 5 minutes or so. We were unable to do that before and just ended up moving. Between crow fight and struggling crow and a few of Bob A's similar calls we were able to keep birds interested. Sometimes we had them coming in way to high but you cannot help that at times. It seems when they are on a path and we tweak there interest they come in high, turn and keep on their intended path). TheCS-24 is a great caller. I had 2 small opportunities to test it against coyotes and they loved the sound too. We'll be finishing our deer season this Fri-Sat and then were hunting dogs for a while until the snow flies and then bouncing back and forth between dogs and crows all winter. I cannot say enough about these callers. They have become part of my hunting equipment that I just wouldn't go without.
I keep posting here as I hope others will chat about their crow hunting experiences. It is probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

Picture from Sundays hunt- thought I'd share. We hunt in such thick stuff we have to put our birds(once we find them) out on a road or packed surface to get a picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15592493@N02/6345285628/

-Henry

Weasel
11-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Another good one. WTG!

Keith in Ga
11-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm still using my old FX-3, with a mixture of Foxpro and Bob's sounds. We hit them just right this week and shot solid for two hours. The crows just kept coming, and two of us shot over 100 shells. Wish my shooting had been better, but for our first outing guess we weren't too bad.

Str8shooter
11-30-2011, 11:16 PM
That is some nice crow shooting Henry.

I checked out your video and noticed the very cool looking rotating decoys. That has to be a big plus to your shoots. I use flocked decoys that seem to help greatly. Can you tell me where I can look online for the decoys?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

HenryA
12-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Str8shooter
The guy in the pictures with me built the rotating decoy. He used two spin wing crows and built(our prototype as we call it) the rotating setup with a wiper motor and welded up the rest and painted it.The video is some footage we captured when trying out a Sony playsport cam my wife got me. Its not great stuff we captured but it shows the spinning crows really well. We bought our decoys online and the spin wings can be found in a few places. Check here for the spin wing crow decoys...http://www.practicalsports.com/crow-decoy-expedite.html.

We found in closed in areas we just need a dozen or so decoys in trees which we tied (fishing)line between two deeks and toss em up into branches. We haven't found a good pole that is easy to take with us to get em down so we just shoot the line and they drop. Not the best way but it works for us.

The reason we went to the rotating decoys is because we found when hunting large open fields we needed to get them down into shooting range. Mind you we had crows coming within shooting distance but the majority came in high, When we added the rotating crows it changed the game tremendously. We had a lot more crows dive bombing our rig and giving us a lot more birds within range. In the last two years we have really invested a lot of time and effort into getting our setups fine tuned. With some pointers from guys here and watching Bobs videos along with our trial and error we are slowly getting our setups nailed down.

We have lined up a friend to come out and video for us on our next hunt which will probably be in the first weekend in December. I'll post it so you can see the birds dive bombing the rotator or the Vortex as we named it.(Sucks em right in) :D

Keith- sounds like you guys had a great shoot. You cannot beat barrel warping action. Duck hunting has taken a back seat with crow hunting providing so much action. Last trip out I had to stop and clean the gas ports on my auto loader from all the action(that and I forgot to clean them the weekend before when I had the gun apart on the bench to clean it) Sounds better when you say its because of all the shooting :D

-Henry