PDA

View Full Version : Lead Banned for Crows?

wwheelock
04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I just read today in the April 2011 issue of Muzzle Blasts, the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Associations Magazine, that lead shot has been banned for controlling nuisance bird populations. Here's what the magazine said on page27 in the NMLRA Legislative Watch column:

"Lead Shot Banned for Nuisance Birds

Quietly and without fanfare, with the publishing of a final rulemaking action in the Federal Register in January, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) banned the use of lead ammuniton for controlling nuisance bird populations. As a result of the regulatory change, wildlife authorities and others targeting birds such as crows, grackles, cowbirds, mapies, and blackbirds will be required to use lead alternatives such as steel, tungsten, and bismuth shot.

Non-toxic ammunition is already required for control of various other migratory nuisance birds such as Canada geese, comorants, and purple gallinules.

One of the primary groups supporting the regulatory change was the American Bird Consevancy (ABC), which was also one of the organizations petitioning the Enviromental Protection Agency on August 3, 2010 to ban lead ammunition used for hunting and lead fishing gear.

Those petitions were separately denied and dismissed by the EPA. "

If this is true can anyone afford to shoot at crows? And it sounds as if using a rifle would also require lead free ammo. Shooting blackbirds in the back yard with a pellet gun with lead pellets would be illegal too.

Anyone else heard anything on this?

Bill Wheelock

Rustystud
04-08-2011, 06:39 AM
About 30 years ago the county where I live got a law passed requiring written permission from the land owner to hunt with a center fire rifle.

The Wildlife Resources Commission who publishes the laws including the local laws inadvertently change the wording from "hunting with a centerfire rifle to just "hunting with a rifle". The new game warden and public did not know of the original wording and it is enforced it as it is printed in their digest.

On another note I bought 4 boxes of Heavy Shot brand of ammunition. Two boxes of #2 and two boxes of Dead Coyote loads #Ts. The wholesale cost with shipping was $132.00. Remember there are only ten shels per box.

I could not afford to go duck or goose hunting.

Nat Lambeth

Weasel
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
When non-lead shot became mandatory for waterfowl hunting I couldn't waterfowl hunt for a few years due to the higher cost. Eventually I was able to hunt again, but on a limited basis. The ammo or shot to load my own is now out of my reach. I sold off the last of my decoys last year. I guess if the anti's can't take our guns away they can push for laws that price some of us out of the game.