PDA

View Full Version : Crow hunting advise.

trigger7mm
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I haven't really ever hunted crows before, but plan to do it this spring. Do you guys think a coyote decoy with a dead crow in front of it, along with a dying crow sound would work good? Thanks for the help.

Bob Aronsohn
03-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Trigger,

If you plan to run & gun (going from stand to stand) I would concentrate on being well hidden and using a dieing crow call, fighting call, distress call or mourning call. It just isn't necessary to use a coyote decoy. Once the crows come over the trees thats when you give it to em.

Just stay with either an improved cylender or modified choke and any 3 dram trap load, that is a good place to start.

Bob Aronsohn

trigger7mm
04-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks Bob!;)

mushfoot
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
you can try a small black flag it will pull them from a distance stop waveing when they start comeing

Possumal
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
trigger7MM, I would advise you to get Bob Aronsohn's dvd, "The art of crow hunting" to pick up a lot of basics and technical info at the same time. Bob also has some good cd's out on using various sounds.

steppara
08-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Don't bother with the coyote decoys. Crows won't defend a crow over a coyote like they would do for an owl. The best decoys are fake crows. You can attract a few crows with a single crow decoy. However, it works best with a few crows on the ground and a few in trees. In the spring, you can add an owl. Remember if you do so, the crow decoys must be hyer in trees than the owl.
Good luck !

jonesy
09-20-2011, 05:11 PM
I've had good luck making decoys from black trash bags- split the trash bags down the seam- wad up some newspaper for the body- twist a piece of wire around the top and then seperate the wings. Use the wire to hang them in a tree or just toss them on the ground.