PDA

View Full Version : Crow Hunting Help

boroutdoors
02-25-2010, 11:52 PM
I am entering in a crow hunting contest in a week, and need a little help.
My partoner and I did a little trial run and found a few problems that I could use a little help with.

First there is about 12 inches of snow on the ground, we tried an owl and 3 crow decoys. Didn't seem very effective - About 6 crows in an hour came into shooting range. We seen alot more but they never came close. I have a fury and tried crow and owl fight on this setup.

Next set we tried crow fight, and gathering and got alot better response with just the 3 crow decoys and no owl. Could this be because there doesn't seem to be as many owls around when there is snow? Or should we keep using the owl even with the snow? And is 3 decoys enough or how many should we use?

Second problem. We were using 6 shot, and we nocked the feathers off about 20 of them and go 2 they just wouldn't fall. I was even using a turkey tube, do I need larger shot? 5's or 4's?

Lastly I know if we could get them to fly lower it would help with the above, but how do you get them to fly lower? Seems like if we let them circle, once or twice they would leave, or land in a tree 1/4 mile away and call. A little different than duck hunting, not one ever set there wings and committed to landing. Thanks for any help!

Ramrod
02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm new at this game also, We have shot 125 crows in about 8 outings.What I do is,Lay dead crow on ground with wings spread, Owl standing 2 feet from crow on a tri-pod 2 feet high. Call mounted under owl off the ground so the sound carries farther. First crow that comes in is the scout, do not shoot,There will be more to follow. Pick up dead crows wright away. My DD loves to retrieve crows. I like shooting #5 full choke. I only shoot an area onces a week. Full camo, do not move. They catch on quick. Good Luck.

Ramrod
02-26-2010, 10:20 AM
I only turn the caller on when I here the crows close by. 1/2 mile Shut it off after we finish shooting. Wait for next flock.

coyotecontroler
02-28-2010, 12:42 PM
No clue about hunting them in snow, but good luck.

nutria
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Pick up dead crows wright away. My DD loves to retrieve crows. Good Luck.

Ramrod, I have been using all of the dead ones for additional decoys. I was just wondering why you are picking up the dead ones. Maybe I should be doing the same. By no means am I criticizing, just looking for more ideas. :)

Thanks,
Nutria

Ramrod
02-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I found if I left the dead ones out, The incoming crows were leary and circle to high to shoot. When the flock comes in they see the dying crow, dive and circle the owl, they don't land.They are on attack. Every area is different. Good luck.

nutria
02-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I found if I left the dead ones out, The incoming crows were leary and circle to high to shoot. When the flock comes in they see the dying crow, dive and circle the owl, they don't land.They are on attack. Every area is different. Good luck.

I'm going to give it a try next time out.

Thanks for the tip....

Nutria

varminter .223
02-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Today we had a couple flocks come in while calling coyotes. We were using crow fight and dying crow. We were just inside a wooded point extending into a bean stubble field. Since the call was in the woods the crows had to come in very low to try to see. They really got fired up on the dying crow. The crows were landing in the trees and hawks swooping at the critter decoy. Cant wait for crow season! Good Luck!

Gadget Bob
03-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Boroutdoors,

I would suggest you go to 7 1/2 or 8 shot in quality "target" loads such as the Remington Nitro Gold Sporting and Winchester Sporting Clays AA. Move to a more open choke like the improved cylinder many of us use for crows here in Texas. This combination will kill crows reliably out to 50-55 yards and give you more of a change at the closer in birds.

With our FoxPro's we use the Johnny Stewart Crow and Owl Fight and Death Cry of the Crow to good effect. FoxPro's crow fighting is also very good.

As far as decoys a few GreenHead Gear deks and one or two flapping decoys -we like the Edge Expedite Wounded Woodpecker painted flat black - will help bring them in real close.

Remember head to toe camo and a camo'd shotgun will also help you bag more crows.

Take a look at www.crowbusters.com for more crow hunting advice.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

Gadget Bob - www.TexasCrowPatrol.com

Furtaker 22-250
03-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Here in the west i use red tail hawks over decoys with sound. Never thought about using Owls here? might try that out see if it works better.

thearcher1340
03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Try this in the snow red food coloring and 2-3 frozen cheap pizzas. They think its a buffet, works pretty well. Also talk to the farmer before we get out and find out where he is spreading the aroma. We have a ball........

predator_caller
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I posted this a year or so ago, but you might not have seen it. If you happen to have access to or own a Jack-In-The-Box definately try this. I did'nt expect it to make such a differance, but it truly did. I was having the same issues: high flyers and not commiting. For some reason when they see the movement of this decoy they just cant seem to resist. I've actually let them land in a small tree less than 15 feet from the caller just to see how comfortable they would get.
It's simply an Avery flocked decoy with a simple mod to the stake. All i did was fold a latex glove over the top end of the stake to keep it from free-spinning, and it also absorbs some or the torque it has when changind direction. It works alot better than i'd expected so maybe it's an option.
Just to add a little to it i took a small finish nail and put a little hole in the but of the wing of the decoy. When the first crow hits the deck i cut off a wing and pin it to the decoy. To transport it to and from the field i just put the nail back in the hole and it's always there for next time.
just food for thought, but it did put alot more birds in my lap. I also agree with 7.5's as far as shot. I run a modified choke out of my browning gold and it works well for me, even way out there. This picture was from its maiden voyage and just got better from there on out.
Good luck to you.
jim

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/predator_caller/PICT0322.jpg

Kenawell1
03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
So does this thing spin around or not predcaller?

predator_caller
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
sure does... simply turn on the box and it sporatic movement back and forth. With slight pauses in between. just enough movement to get them excited.

Kenawell1
03-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey Can I send you some pictures of this Cat toy i got for a predator decoy, I also can change the top and put other things on I would like your opinion. I was skeptical when I first read it but the more I thought....
Mine is powered by 4 aa's I can turn it on at any speed and mine spins right and left in circles . The movements are speratic, not the same type of movement al the time. It also has a inmediate mode where it works for 2 hours or something i cant remeber. Why do you think this helps? Have you used this on a few hunts? Whats your thoughts on why they want to investigate more? Did it seem like it defenitly Helped your success?
Dave

predator_caller
03-21-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm sure it has helped alot. i have shot way more crows with that decoy moving than i ever did with averything sitting still. Not sure just "why" it works but i know it has made a big differance in my area. Just seems to get them to come in alot closer. that extra 20-30 yards closer helps a bunch. Like i said: i like to put a wing on there as well. just seems to add to the realism.
Hope this helps.
jim

abyoteslayer
05-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey guys,

From Southern Alberta and really want to get into crow hunting. Have our FX3 ready to roll with crow calls but looking for a little bit of advise.

a. what type of area (generally) is best to scout, we have lots in town but I haven't seen too many out in the country yet, does the season change that?

b. do they fly like ducks/geese, 1 hour after sunrise to feed and then again an hour or so before sunset to feed? Do you intercept them or go to their feeding grounds?

c. what call do you find works best? Injured crow? Crow/Owl fight?

Thanks for the help!

Possumal
05-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Best advice I can give you is to get a couple of Bob Aronsohn's dvd's about crow hunting. He is the best in the world and you can learn a lot about setup and location. "The art of crow hunting" is excellent.

Bob Aronsohn
08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Boroutdoors,

Comparing crows to waterfowl is like comparing Forest Gump to Eienstien. Crows are much smarter than waterfowl.

Lets start with you're choke and shot selection first. You mentioned that you drew feathers with the 6's but none came down. Several things come into play here, first off you will do much better with 7 1/2's because you will have a much more dense pattern on a crow sized target. In a 1 1/8th ounce load ( 12 gauge ) you have 252 6's and 388 7 1/2's, that extra 136 pellets plugs a lot of holes in you're pattern. This is especially true on you're longer shots between 45 to 55 yards. Next is the choke you are using, it's all well and good if you're shots are 40 yards or better with a turkey choke. Anything inside of 40 yards and you are handicaping yourself greatly. Your pattern is just to tight for the closer shots, you have to be very skilled to use a choke that tight in close! When you mentioned that all you were doing was drawing feathers, this is because you were either clipping them in the back end where there are no real vitals, or just drawing some wing feathers. In either case you would be better served with a more open choke inorder to give you more leeway. With a more open choke like modified and a load of 7 1/2's or even 8's will do a much better job for you.

Next is you're location. Snow or no snow, owl or no owl, you have to be where the crows are, not where you would like them to be! In two feet of snow that has been on the ground for several days or longer poses a problem. Unless the crows have other food sources such as a hog lot, chicken farm or dump where they can feed they will pull up stakes and move out of the area. If they really like where they are roosting where no idiots shoot at them in the roost they will venture out as far as 35 to 40 miles to find good feed. In most cases however they don't venture out more than 10 to 11 miles from the roost. The 40 mile figure is an extreeme case when you have deep snow cover. If they have to venture any further than 40 miles they will change roost locations inorder to be closer to the feed.

I have an article that will be in next months news letter that I think you will enjoy reading. It covers some of these questions in greater detail.

Good Hunting!

Bob Aronsohn

Bob Aronsohn
08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Check the news letter this month, I have an article which covers some of these questions in depth.

Bob Aronsohn

Bob Aronsohn
08-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Boroutdoors,

You stated that you knocked some feathers loose but none dropped? As Gadget Bob has stated, you would be far better served with 7 1/2's or 8's out of a more open choke. In a 12 gauge trap load ( 1 1/8th ounce load ) you have 252 number 6's compared to 388 7 1/2's or 460 number 8's! Most fellas are using reverse logic when they go to larger shot for further shots on crows. On crows it's the other way around, why you might ask? You don't have the pattern density with the larger shot sizes on a crow sized target. This is especially true on you're longer shots between 45 to 55 yards on crows. You can be right on the money at say 45 to 50 yards with number 6's and still only draw feathers! Why? Pattern density! With the same shot with 7 1/2's you more than likely would have killed the bird stone dead. Why? Because you had an additional 136 pieces of shot in the air and that plugs a lot of holes in ones pattern. Up to 30 yards number 9's work real well on crows as well.

I wrote an article called "Crow Deception" that I think will be in this months news letter that should help you guys a lot.

In closing I want to touch on the choke one might choose for crow hunting. If you are hid well and you have them in the "kill zone" within 20 yards then a more open choke is demanded if you want a high kill ratio per shell expended. Improved cylender is quite good on birds from "point blank" on out to 30 to 35 yards for the best results. Since most shots on crows are under 35 yards either improved cylender or modified will work very well for you. If I had but one choke to use and no other it would be a modified. You have the best of both worlds with a modified choke, it's still open enough for the close shots and tight enough for the longer shots!

Good Hunting!

Bob Aronsohn