PDA

View Full Version : Second time out with some success

Doom_Saloon
03-27-2016, 01:15 PM
I got these two last week Sunday on the last day of crow season. This was my second time out and I learned a lot. I got out just before noon and set up on some land I was pretty unfamiliar with. I hand-called for about 40 minutes or so and heard absolutely nothing. Moved to another area and started with hand-calls and after hearing nothing for a while switched over to my Shockwave crow calls. I called for a while and was still hearing nothing, even though I’ve seen quite a few crows in the surrounding areas. Finally, I cranked it to volume 40 for a while on “Dying crow” and let that run for a few minutes. Shut it off for a while and waited – still nothing. I packed up and had quite a walk back to exit the hunting area and probably within 10 minutes of heading back I hear A LOT of them coming in. They must’ve heard my call from quite a distance away.

By this time, I was on a path next to some of the tallest trees in the area. I quickly scrambled to pull out my caller out and set up quickly. There were a lot of them coming in overhead and I got about 12 shots off after reloading twice but given the row of tall trees I happened to be by at this time they were just too high up there. I think some of my pattern caught a couple of them a little, but given the distance it was not enough to bring them down.

That got me fired up so I moved to another area with what proved to be a much better set up: a much wider open space with sparse low-laying brush. I put the caller next to lone shorter tree and then backed up about 10 to 15 yards with my back against a tree line which were also relatively shorter and I was in complete camo including face and hands. Put the “Crow Party” on and I have a Boon Dock Outdoors crow decoy with spinning wing on the Shockwave. Right away about three came in very low flying and I nailed the first one and had my FoxBang set on “Dying Crow.” Crow number two started to high-tail it out but then turned around with Dying Crow playing and I nailed that one. At that point I was out of shells because I didn’t anticipate getting that many shots off. I don’t think they had any idea where I was. Crow #3 was still hovering around sounding very pissed off, but I turned my caller off due to no more ammo to deal with him.

Like I said, I learned a lot. I’ve got a much better idea about setting up the next time I got out. Crows are so cool.

Weasel
03-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Good going! Crows are cool.

GoodOlBoy
03-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Good deal! We go after the crows almost as hard as the fox and coon, almost. They are definitely a hoot to hunt.

Doom_Saloon
03-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Yes, I admire them as a perty smart bird and they seem almost a lock to show as compared to other quarry. Still trying to see my first yote using my Shockwave. I wouldn't doubt they might be responding but the areas I hunt they probably bust me before I even know they're there.