PDA

View Full Version : Crow hunters question

Kenawell1
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
What are guys using to place decoys in trees. Some type of exstention pole thats light and colapsable...

nutria
02-23-2010, 02:02 PM
What I usually use are poles with the decoys on top and then raise them so it looks like they are in the trees. I have also use string with weights on them to throw over branches and then raise the decoys into the trees. The string method is easier to carry but sometimes it's a pain to get the decoys down.

Although I have poles that are 6 feet long and plug into each other, they are a pain to haul around. I only put a few decoys in the trees and the rest on the ground out in front.

Hope that helps a little. :)

Nutria

Kenawell1
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Kinda looking for something I can buy or an idea to make one. It nice to have something that callapesed down to say 3 ft or so and extended to say 10 ft so more..

nutria
02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
The ones I have are fiberglass and I've painted them with a camo pattern of sorts. I used to cut long saplings but it was a pain. I'm sure there is something out there that will collapse shorter than 6 feet. If you find something, please let us know because I would like something a little easier to transport.

Good hunting...

Nutria

Kenawell1
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Found a 16 ft aluminum pool at lowes for 29.00. It is almost 5 ft long and extends out to 16 ft. Its 4 sections including the handle part. , each section locks tight.
It weighs "about" 5-6 pounds very light truthfuly. The end is threaded to attach paint roller,window wiper, broom, etc. I will end up "fixing" something to the end to hang decoys in trees. I do want to point out the danger around wires. Please note tag warning!
I hope this may help anyone looking for other option's!

Brand- ETTORE
Writing on tag- REA-C-H EXTENTION POLE <~~~ Exactly how its wrote ..

Thanks,:cool:
Dave

predator_caller
07-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I put about 20' of dacron fish line on my "tree" decoys. I carry them with the line simply wrapped around them till i get to where i want to set them up. When i get there i take out my little spincast reel with a 2 oz. bell sinker and swivel on it. I simply throw the sinker over the branch i want and then un-hook the sinker and attach it to the decoy line. Pull up the decoy and tie it off, and then replace the sinker and do it all over again. works great.. $7.00 reel and a little dacron line. Light and easy to carry.

Possumal
07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
You might want to consider a fiberglass extension pole instead of aluminum. You can modify a paint roller frame to hold your decoy and place it up in a tree, kind of like decorating a Christmas tree. Put you some wire hooks made out of coat hanger on your decoys and you can retrieve them with the same pole.

Bob Aronsohn
08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
test to see if it works

Dooger
08-17-2010, 01:46 AM
It may be a little late, but I use twine. I tie it to the loop on the back of the decoy and then throw the decoy over a limb and wrap the tag end around another limb about head high. When I'm done, I just lower them down and wrap the twine around the body.

crohopper
11-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I use an adjustable or retractable aluminum wash brush pole that is capable of reaching around 18 ft high, It works really nice and can be purchased at any hardware store or walmart, Very lightweight and looks great when camo tape is applied.

^^crohopper^^