PDA

View Full Version : Getting Frustrated....

GoodOlBoy
01-24-2016, 07:30 PM
Today me and my buddy competed in our first ever crow contest. We placed 3rd out of 25 teams, we thought that was pretty decent. Our problem lies in killong the darn things. We shot three full boxes of high brass at the buggers, hit them and watched feathers fly they would falter halfway to the ground and then take off. We have no idea what we are doing wrong. We hit them hard like that and they take off, I would say we hit 30 birds hard like that. Any ideas are welcome!

Furguy
01-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Using lead shot or steel?
We cant shoot crows here, but I do a Lot of shotgun shooting.
Birds, water foul and coyote.
I can tell you right now your better off shooting lead if you can.
A heave- shot load would be the best of all but I's around $4 every time you pull the trigger.
With out any Info I would suggest bigger sizes shot and tighter choke.
Let them get closer maybe.:eek::tiphat:

GTOHunter
01-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Were they facing You or was their backs turned and Flying away?If they are as tough as a Turkey the pellets/BB's were being reflected off their feathers and it wasn't killing them?What Gauge of Shotgun were You using and the size of the shot.....Using a tight choke?

fox kicker
01-24-2016, 08:55 PM
12 Ga. modified choke 6-5 lead shot should do it 30+ yards. In coming shots may need to be closer Breast feathers can almost act like a shield deflecting shot. Crossing shots are better but my favorite is the going away shot not much in the way of lead and the BB's slip in through the feathers better.
Good luck.

GoodOlBoy
01-24-2016, 09:30 PM
We were shooting federal high brass 2 3/4 lead 6 shot. Most shots were around 40 yards. I had improved choke and I'm not positive what buddy had. They were in all different positions when shot at. One bird literally flew away with half his wing feathers float behind him. We've had this happen before and we just can't find that magic ticket. Maybe there isn't one why it's so frustrating lol.

GoodOlBoy
01-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Think our next try is going to be remington express long range high brass in 7.5 shot. Either that or well try and find one them British punt guns.

Sheppard
01-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Try some Hornady Heavy Magnum Turkey. 3" shells with #4, #5, or #6 nickel plated shot with a full or Exfull choke.About $20 a box of 10.

Chris B
01-25-2016, 08:39 AM
GoodOlBoy I'm having the same issues. My buddy and I went yesterday and we shot almost 2 boxes of shells between the two of us and I killed the only crow of the day. We did shoot one that we watched feathers fly on and he coasted down into the valley and onto the ground a few hundred yards away and we saw we was missing feathers. The rest of the birds acted unphased.

I brought my 870 super mag 12 ga w extra full choke and shot Winchester #6's and my buddy was using an 870 20 ga w mod choke and shooting Rio 7.5's (1 oz shot). There were about 5 shots that we just sat there after like "WTF?? How is that possible???!!"

GoodOlBoy
01-25-2016, 09:40 AM
I know I just don't get it either, I'm at a complete loss to be honest. We've tried a lot and nothing. We managed nine yesterday but it should have been 25. I've even looked at a barrel extension that's called a metro gun. I don't quite understand the extension, I don't think it helps shot distance but just makes the shotgun less loud. I'm trying to think of anything lol.

CrowCommander
01-25-2016, 02:35 PM
I know I just don't get it either, I'm at a complete loss to be honest. We've tried a lot and nothing. We managed nine yesterday but it should have been 25. I've even looked at a barrel extension that's called a metro gun. I don't quite understand the extension, I don't think it helps shot distance but just makes the shotgun less loud. I'm trying to think of anything lol.

Good old boy I think what is happening is your not getting on the front half of the bird, also the ic choke is a bit open for 40 yard birds so they may be flying through the pattern. I can go into detail about pattern density and shot string but that's a lot to type. Go mod and work em a little closer

Weasel
01-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Think our next try is going to be remington express long range high brass in 7.5 shot. Either that or well try and find one them British punt guns.

IMHO #8 and to a lesser degree 7.5 shot are the best on crows. The feathers on crows can deflect pellets. You need a dense pattern to consistently kill them. 40 yards would be a bit farther than I would like to shoot them, but your pattern will tell you what is too far. That means you need to pattern your gun and choke combination.

GoodOlBoy
01-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Sounds good commander. We will try mod and I was a lil smaller **** might help but it's hard to find in high brass. Our problem lies in where we hunt, with he terrain and trees 40 yards is about as close as we've ever been able to pull them. Not until Sunday had we ever even decoy ed a bird so we are gaining lol. But I do appreciate the tips commander because when it comes to shotguns I know very lil about the technical side of them and I'll listen to advice on it.

Iowa yote hunter
01-26-2016, 08:40 AM
Take weasel's advice. It is not so much how tough they are as it is that you need to hit them in the head. Even low brass 7.5 or 8 will kill crows and that is actually what some pro's use. I don't call crows much but I fought the same problems and then read two articles on exactly this topic and long story short pattern density is way more important than shot size or knockdown power. Try 7.5 or 8 shot trap loads with mod choke and I think you will be very surprised. At least I know I was.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk