PDA

View Full Version : Crow Hunting Shotguns

GoodOlBoy
01-18-2016, 10:16 AM
I just wondered what everyone used for shotguns, what brand and type, special chokes maybe, shell types. I'm thinking about a new shotgun and have a good idea what I want. Just thought it'd give everyone a chance to share their rig and maybe give me a new idea (not like any need any of those). Pics if ya got em!

Ramrod
01-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Browning Maxus, Pattern Master extended range choke, 7.5 or 8 shot in 3"

CrowCommander
01-18-2016, 08:54 PM
My crow hunting gun is a Benelli sbe 2 usually mod choke sometimes improved or cylinder bore depending on the crows temperament and my cockiness lol. I've hunted with 870s gold hunters but the Benelli is my work gun it's selling points are light weight, balanced, and excellent point ability.. I also hunt with my beretta 686 regularly.. My ammo of choice is handloaded 1 1/8 #8 at 1474 in my twelve and 7/8 of #8 at 1350 in my 20 #9 has been excellent on birds 30 and in. Both guns are 28 inch. If I was recommending an auto loader I would say go with the m2 unless you are needing a 3 1/2 gun for other things and save some weight and dough:tiphat:

Chris B
01-19-2016, 10:12 AM
I went crow hunting for the first time w a buddy this past sunday. I must admit, we had a hell of a time! I also was really surprised how well they can pick you out. Since I have never done it, I brought my 20 ga 870 w a full choke and had some Remington express #5's. I shot at 5 crows and never killed one. I thought they were just tough birds but maybe I just don't have enough BB's in the air?

CrowCommander
01-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I went crow hunting for the first time w a buddy this past sunday. I must admit, we had a hell of a time! I also was really surprised how well they can pick you out. Since I have never done it, I brought my 20 ga 870 w a full choke and had some Remington express #5's. I shot at 5 crows and never killed one. I thought they were just tough birds but maybe I just don't have enough BB's in the air?

Shootin fives is really cutting your pellet count down, if you stay with the twenty try the aa super sport load in 7.5 or 8 good pellet count and good velocity..what possibly happened is you misjudged yardage they look a lot closer being black. They're really along the lines of pigeons as far as bone structure goes.

Chris B
01-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Shootin fives is really cutting your pellet count down, if you stay with the twenty try the aa super sport load in 7.5 or 8 good pellet count and good velocity..what possibly happened is you misjudged yardage they look a lot closer being black. They're really along the lines of pigeons as far as bone structure goes.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will look into them and go from there. I'm pretty excited to go out again. Although shooting-wise I had a hard time, we still had a blast and I never laughed so much in my life! Definitely breaks things up with all the serious coyote/fox and grouse hunting I do all winter.

GoodOlBoy
01-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Your screwed now chris, lol. That crow hunting is just as addicting as the predators. I'm better at crow then fox maybe we can trade off hunts, lol. You'll be hooked just as commander it's as much fun as you can have.

Chris B
01-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Your screwed now chris, lol. That crow hunting is just as addicting as the predators. I'm better at crow then fox maybe we can trade off hunts, lol. You'll be hooked just as commander it's as much fun as you can have.

haha yessir, I realized I was screwed before the hunt was even over!

GoodOlBoy
01-19-2016, 10:12 PM
My gun is just a 12 ga mossberg 935. I usually use modified choke. I plan on researching waterfowl chokes and guns to come up with a crow rig. We've found crows to be tough, hit em with a low brass game load feathers fly and they keep truckin. We know use 2 3/4 high brass 6 or 7.5. Sometimes if it's a good day it's an expensive day. As for hitting them Im bot the best as I've never been a good wing shooter, miss a lot then I hit unfortunately lol. Sounds like commander and ramrod got some nice outfits there hunting with.

CrowCommander
01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
My gun is just a 12 ga mossberg 935. I usually use modified choke. I plan on researching waterfowl chokes and guns to come up with a crow rig. We've found crows to be tough, hit em with a low brass game load feathers fly and they keep truckin. We know use 2 3/4 high brass 6 or 7.5. Sometimes if it's a good day it's an expensive day. As for hitting them Im bot the best as I've never been a good wing shooter, miss a lot then I hit unfortunately lol. Sounds like commander and ramrod got some nice outfits there hunting with.

Goodolboy, if you want to keep cost down look at the super sport sporting clays or the nitro sporting clays. They'll push an eighth ounce less of shot than a high brass, and very close to same velocity for a good chunk less unless your buying rio high brass for eight bucks a box. As for choke do some experimenting but I don't think buying a waterfowl choke is necessary, they are more open than a lead choke, turkey chokes are often too tight for small shot sizes and degrade your pattern. However compnchoke makes a wad stripping choke in lead constrictions and pattern master has the upland series, those will help make your pattern denser by shortening your shot string.. You will have cleaner kills but with a shorter shot string your lead will have to be more precise. Hoped I've helped any

Dan the man
01-21-2016, 03:21 PM
I bought a franchi affinity this year and love it great gun for the money. Another shell that I have had good luck with is the kent fast lead 6s they have a heavy payload option in a lowbrass shell. Also love the winchester aa's also of the heavy persuasion.

CrowCommander
01-21-2016, 06:02 PM
I bought a franchi affinity this year and love it great gun for the money. Another shell that I have had good luck with is the kent fast lead 6s they have a heavy payload option in a lowbrass shell. Also love the winchester aa's also of the heavy persuasion.

Excellent choice of gun, my buddy had one they balance really well and if I was to shoot an inertia gun besides a Benelli it would be a franchi. great value

GoodOlBoy
01-21-2016, 06:40 PM
You've helped a lot because I truthfully don't know beans about chokes and restrictions or any of that. All I know is my 935 with a pure gold choke I can put a turkey on its back at 75 yards every time.

CrowCommander
01-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks gob!! And them bergs are definitely Tom getters... Keep me posted on your experiments as well your season

drslyr
01-22-2016, 08:03 AM
How do you hit the dam things. Ive shot 2 boxes of shells at em with various leads and haven't even seen a feather fly

Chris B
01-22-2016, 09:36 AM
All I know is my 935 with a pure gold choke I can put a turkey on its back at 75 yards every time.

Wish I had that setup last year! Lets just say I'm really bad at gauging distance in open field and I had a good gobbler come in toward my decoy setup and hung up at about "55 yards"..... I shot, he ran and flew, I then paced that 55 yards to be 70..... :( ay yi yi.... I guess i'll have to bring the range finder from now on and pre measure my distances lol

CrowCommander
01-22-2016, 10:36 AM
How do you hit the dam things. Ive shot 2 boxes of shells at em with various leads and haven't even seen a feather fly

The swing through lead is what I use most the time, I realy feel my lead more than I have a set lead distance but usually if you swing through the bird you can break the shot as you see daylight you will hit more times than not. Shoot at birds about tree top high or lower a 100 ft tall tree is 33 yds perfect modified range. Buy good ammo avoid the value packs and stay at a minimum 1250fps and 3 1/4 dram equivalent

GoodOlBoy
01-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Keep the tips coming Commander, I'm really poor Wing shot. You should take a look at those pure gold chokes Chris, I believe it's called the twister. Since I've got it I have killed lots of gobbler past 50 yards. The longest to record was 82 yards. He was coming but was spooked by a fox so I took the **** and he dumped. Buddy has a mossberg 835 with the same choke with same results l. I guess I should add these chokes are specifically designed for federal flight control shells.

winman
02-05-2016, 03:21 PM
I used to run a 11-87 with a patternmaster extended range. Now I use a Beretta a-400 with the factory modified choke. I also run homebrew reloads of 1 1/4 oz 7.5/5 shot mixed.

diyj98
06-14-2016, 01:20 PM
I use an 11/87 with an improved cylinder or sometimes modified choke. I see a lot more wounded crows with 8's, so generally use 7 1/2 shot.

jacobhwrd
06-14-2016, 07:50 PM
I use a stoger m3000 and change from IC to Mod choke. I typically shoot 8s or 7 1/2s depending on whats availablein good bulk when i buy for the year. Stay with 6 shot (I only use 6 shot for run and gun) or smaller and you will be fine. I use 1 1/8 oz shot and 3 dram equiv. That gives me good pellet count and good speeds. The biggest thing is to shoot the same shells if at all possible. This might be overkill on my part with with all my shooting be it shotgun, rifle, pistol or bow. I removed every possible variable i can so when i am shooting like crap i know i need to look at what i am doing and not blame the gun or shells. On a last note when you buy choke tubes i would highly recommend Carlsons. They make VERY good chokes and they have the best customer service i have every encountered. When you call you are almost always talking to a Carlson so they truly care about protecting the company name. Also buy extended choke tubes. You can find tons of research that will show you will get 5-15% better patterns. If your going to buy a new one then why not right.

Possumal
06-20-2016, 11:52 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the importance of the type of shot. Bob Aronsohn has told me several times to either shoot 7 or 7 1/2 magnum shot. Holds its pattern more reliably and will penetrate through bone and feathers much better.

GoodOlBoy
06-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Do you know of any factory loads that use magnum shot, currently we just use any high brass 6 to 7.5 we can get our grubby hands on.

Possumal
06-20-2016, 01:27 PM
I always loaded my own, but not sure if the factory loads them or not. They sell copper and steel coated shot. They used to sell something called "Chill shot" which was a special hardened shot. We used them a lot when we were really after the rabbits with good beagles. That's been a long time ago.

GoodOlBoy
06-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Have the same trouble lots of people do, the hit birds just won't drop. We've come to the conclusion if we keep trying different ammo and choke combos well find on that works.

Possumal
06-26-2016, 03:00 PM
IMO, one of the most common problems crow hunters have is using shot that is too big rather than going for a denser pattern. One number 7 shot, placed right, will kill a crow. Pattern your gun at 40 yards with number 5 shot, and then repeat with number 7 shot, and you will see far fewer spots on the pattern that a crow can fly through.

With magnum shot, you also get much better penetration and a consistent pattern.

jacobhwrd
06-26-2016, 07:02 PM
IMO, one of the most common problems crow hunters have is using shot that is too big rather than going for a denser pattern. One number 7 shot, placed right, will kill a crow. Pattern your gun at 40 yards with number 5 shot, and then repeat with number 7 shot, and you will see far fewer spots on the pattern that a crow can fly through.

With magnum shot, you also get much better penetration and a consistent pattern.

I was having the same problem when i first started. I was using 5s and 6s casue i thought about the size of the bird and didnt know any better. Then i changed to 7 1/2s and 8s after Bob A. told me about the pattern issues and saw and immediate improvement. I would like to start loading my own after i buy a house.

GoodOlBoy
06-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Well guys I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to get a few different types of ammo and pattern and shoot it when crow opens. Even with the trouble we have, we still have a hoot hunting crows. I've also thought about reloading just using a simple Lee load all but powder and shot is extremely hard to come by here

Bob Aronsohn
11-29-2017, 11:13 AM
During the last two seasons I have switched from 7 1/2's to number 8's on crows. Crows are thin skinned birds like a dove or a quail and do not take much lead, they kill easily. The challenge is getting them close enough for a decent shot at them. Most of my shooting on crows is done at 40 yards and under. Later in the season I am forced to stretch the gun barrel but can tell you, 8's and 7 1/2's will either kill them or just knock them out of the air a lot further than most guys think. It's more a matter of having a good hold on them and a choke and barrel that likes 8's or 7 1/2's. The rest is mental, having confidence in what you are shooting to do the job at hand.

Bob Aronsohn
11-29-2017, 11:26 AM
If you decide to try trap loads on crows ( in 12 gauge) and are buying factory ammo get a 3 dram load not the 2 3/4 dram load like they sell at Dick's Sporting Goods! Federal makes a snappy one ounce load that I tried in # 8 shot for the first time this season. It is a 3 1/4 dram load and it was a very decent crow killer. Some of the factory ammo I use is the Remington Gun Club Loads only in 3 dram powder equivalent. Next is the Federal Top Gun trap load also a 3 dram load in # 8's. Next is the Federal loads you can buy in the four packs at Walmart, they make a very decent shell to kill crows with. I used to scoff at this ammo until one day years ago I shot all the ammo I brought with me on one of my crow safari's and was forced to buy the El Cheapo loads! I was very pleasantly surprised at how well they did on crows for me. I have used them ever since.

Number4buck
12-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Winchester sx3 improved modified chock . 2 3/4 high brass #6 shot .

Peanut
12-29-2017, 12:22 PM
I use a Stoeger M3500 12 gauge, 26 inch barrel in realtree apg. I use 2 3\4 shells in 7.5 or 8 with 1 1\8 shot oz. I use a modified choke. I also use this gun to coyote hunt due to it shooting the 3 or 3.5 shells.