PDA

View Full Version : Crows are pickin up

CrowCommander
10-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Had some good hunts the past few weeks and the crows are really starting to stack up in the fields. I've had some excellent hunts with my 20 gauge stack as well as some go pro footage of a triple and a double. Once I get service and figure out how I'll share them on here

TN Song Dog
10-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Where are you hunting, crow?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CrowCommander
10-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Jackson and dekalb county al

jacobhwrd
10-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Central ky here. We are seeing some better numbers. Larger groups too. Have had a couple of good hunts but a lot of bad ones with only a handful of birds in the earlier part of the season. Haven't been in a few weeks so hoping it's getting better. Will be hunting down around Nashville where my brother lives Thanksgiving weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TN Song Dog
10-30-2015, 11:22 AM
My in laws live near a huge winter roost area. Last year was my first go at the crows, and it was rediculous fun. It took a few times to figure out the best way to set up on them to get some good shooting, but we got a few great hunts in. 3901

CrowCommander
11-23-2015, 09:05 AM
That's awesome my favorite sport... I'm up to 67 since October we are averaging fifteen to 20 a shoot but still aren't seeing the numbers of a peak winter flock once duck season closes the hunting will be back on in February which is when I kill the most

TN Song Dog
11-26-2015, 10:23 PM
That's awesome my favorite sport... I'm up to 67 since October we are averaging fifteen to 20 a shoot but still aren't seeing the numbers of a peak winter flock once duck season closes the hunting will be back on in February which is when I kill the most
Good numbers! I was at in laws today, and they are gathering in the same area as last year again. It's looking like a few hunts will be in order.

CrowCommander
11-27-2015, 12:06 AM
I heard that keep me posted on how you do

TN Song Dog
11-27-2015, 10:06 AM
I heard that keep me posted on how you do
Will do. Would you mind sharing any pictures of your blind setups and decoy spreads? Last year, we just hid in fence row areas with shorter trees. It was ok but shooting was restrictive and I know it could be done better with a small blind out away from trees... I just need some ideas on how to construct a quick simple blind that I could put up and take down easily. Had even thought of trying to find a cheap hub ground blind and cut material off the roof, or something.? Maybe some landscape cane poles and netting? Would like it to be big enough for 2 people.

CrowCommander
11-28-2015, 10:07 PM
I really don't necessarily have blinds but I manipulate natural brush I hunt hedge rows islands in fields with privet hedge because it's evergreen I guess in that way from hunting public land ducks and don't really want a blind profile... I love overhead cover to my back... If I was hunting a
Fence row I would use netting and make it look like a berry or honeysuckle patch so I wouldn't have the hard edge... I like hunting fields where birds can see my decoys from a very long way with a clean approach to me it tends to make them float straight down the sound cone, but putting your speaker 30 to 35 yards from your hide helps to draw birds to hook the outside of the tree line instead of them workin just inside the tree line behind you... I only have about five decoys so I typically only have one sentry, maybe it's just the spot but more than one in a small spread makes hang up and be nervous. I have a couple pictures but I have a hard time posting on here

CrowCommander
11-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Heck I even had a place in between storage buildings at my house where I layed a piece of plywood to fill the gap if I was to build a blind I would say chicken wire and four t posts you can make it as wide as you want roll it up when your done and you can weave in cover that matches your surroundings maybe make something for a door on the sides but that's light rigid and portable... I'm not a pvc fan

TN Song Dog
11-30-2015, 12:11 AM
Thanks, good stuff. I agree that natural cover would be best. Unfortunately, most of the fence rows have about 75ft trees that obscure shots and crow seem to hang up and circle right above the trees. Our best hunt last year was from a small gap with lower trees, but the wind and their approach made them fly down the tree line to us rather than come in to our faces. It worked out allright, and we got a baker's dozen before the action slowed. Seems they fly best about 15 min before sunrise and then slow down within 2 hrs.

I'm definately against anything like a mini duck blind. I agree with not wanting unnatural hard edges.

We have some round hay bales I might could use for cover. We have about 10 decoys and an owl. I'm not sure the owl has really helped us that much, but we may not be going about that right.

CrowCommander
11-30-2015, 12:50 AM
I haven't had much success with the owl myself , but used to wear em out on the old js crow and owl fight, haven't used an owl a ton too cumbersome for me to carry however I did have an owl come to the call and hang around that was an epic shoot every time the owl moved I would kill a crow as for the tree line only way you can play that is move your call forward, have you ever considered a layout blind? That is a unique hunt itself I used to do that some til I got too lazy to pack all that in

Codyfields
01-04-2016, 04:46 PM
New to the forum board, but I've had great hunts here in Abbeville SC, stacks of crows this year.

CrowCommander
01-11-2016, 03:47 PM
That's awesome dude, what are you mainly hunting over? I used to travel up 85 a lot how close to Greenville are you?

GoodOlBoy
01-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Just last few days we have noticed them bunching up big time. We have been going after the foxes this winter so I've been focusing on them. Wife will only let me hunt so much, pathetic I know. We have a crow hunt in two weeks and today while driving for work I noticed a few of my spots had crows. Three spots easily had over a hundred birds. Needless to say I'm ready to go!

CrowCommander
01-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Just last few days we have noticed them bunching up big time. We have been going after the foxes this winter so I've been focusing on them. Wife will only let me hunt so much, pathetic I know. We have a crow hunt in two weeks and today while driving for work I noticed a few of my spots had crows. Three spots easily had over a hundred birds. Needless to say I'm ready to go!

Awesome dude we're having great numbers as well... Duck hunting has been terrible what little I've had to hunt this year so we set up on some wood ducks, then called some crows we killed fourteen from 10 to 1 with a bad wind, finally had to use crow/hawk fight to get the big flock to break and come in then finished em with distress... I hate the crow hawk sound but the high pitched whistle was all that would cut through the wind and wake them

GoodOlBoy
01-17-2016, 11:16 PM
That's a good deal! I was really looking forward to this weekends contest with all the birds I've been seeing and haven't bothered em at all since october. Unfortunately I plow snow for a living and weatherman says a good storm this coming weekend! Figures since we haven't had snow cover all year in northere PA. We have actually found our birds like a lil wind, they actually fly into it and when they first notice trouble they turn and ride it out like rockets. Just a observation we made. We also have had trouble in past getting big flocks to break apart and come to us.

CrowCommander
01-18-2016, 03:43 PM
That's my bad goodolboy I forgot to mention that due to boundary lines our position was between a half mile and one third a mile from the birds with a 15 + in our face... Wind keeps the birds active here as well often times forcing them to feed... Also windy days have been the days I've had crows land in the decoys... How has the fox hunting been? I called in a grey for my buddy this mornin

GoodOlBoy
01-18-2016, 05:48 PM
The fox were real good early in the season but after deer season mid December it has been really bad, however the coyotes have been real active lately so that's a plus.

CrowCommander
01-19-2016, 10:54 AM
That's awesome I called in a grey yesterday mornin on the edge of a bluff... I think This will be a record February for me crow wise if I can get off work any.