PDA

View Full Version : Is summer bad time of year for hunting crows?

GoodOlBoy
07-16-2015, 04:20 PM
I've hunted crows in winter and spring with constant success. This summer we headed out for the PA opener and couldn't buy a crow. Went the next week and got skunked again. Repeat process.... Is it just wrong time of year and not to bother till fall comes? We've got every crow sound foxpro offers and mouth calls so not sure what problem is. I'm sure others have much more experience and know better then me so any help be appreciated.... just be nice to have another reason to go hunting in the summer!

CrowCommander
07-21-2015, 07:38 PM
I would say it's not a great time to go,but any time hunting is good hunting. Back here in Alabama it seems like the crow hunting really slows down in April May you'll notice birds risin to a call but hangin up hundred yards out, most likely nesting after that you deal with small family groups. So your best bet is to run and gun or stalk the woods at dawn. But it also picks up in August when folks start planting dove fields then the pecans and acorns finally fall harvest. So if you can manage to find someone who has just sown wheat you may just be in for a hell of a shoot, one of my best shoots came in August on a fresh down dove field with a massive flock of birds even lighting in the decoys, hedgerows are a crow hunters best friend

Furguy
07-21-2015, 09:55 PM
We go to jail if we hunt them any time !!???

GoodOlBoy
07-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks commander I appreciate the feedback! Around these parts nobody has any of those crops unfortunately. Everything her is corn and alfalfa for dairy, with that said we tried hunting fresh sewn and up shoot corn but they were to busy eating to even acknowledge the calling. We wondered if it had something to do with family groups and nesting as we hadn't seen our large flocks anymore. In the last week we have started noticing little bit larger groups on the move. We're gunna give it a go this weekend and if we don't come up with anything least we'll be learning from it. Plus you can't kill em from the tv chair. Thanks again it's appreciated from a relatively newcomer.

GoodOlBoy
07-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Also from what I have read and been told... I could only dream of hunting a pecan orchard.

CrowCommander
07-23-2015, 11:51 PM
Your welcome good ol boy and I've heard great things about pecan orchards as well, the Georgia crow great jerry tomlin mainly hunts them... I just am lucky enough to live outside the city limits and have a few in my yard. As for the fresh sewn and up shoot corn were big flocks using, just tryin to picture the scenario you've got goin on so I may be able to nail it. I never really have problems with making big flocks work just make sure you got enough sound goin there way and somethin to look at the family groups give me some of trouble just because they are so easy to educate, I have had them notice me go room to room or even acknowledge my vehicle and leave the area

CrowCommander
07-23-2015, 11:56 PM
We go to jail if we hunt them any time !!???

Fur guy I know where your coming from with that, I was in Texas duck hunting with a friend of mine and he always told me about the crows and I happened to see them myself while we were scouting so I went had a case of shells some decoys ready to check out and good thing I looked in their game book to see no open season or my crow hunt of a lifetime would have been very costly, and getting a depredation permit won't happen on public land lol

GoodOlBoy
07-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Well I took my 4 year old daughterand the fusion. Out and still not a thing. I can't believe they are educated because season was closed till July 3rd. You are right though they get educated easily, we only hunt certain areas for a weekend and let them breathe for while after that. As for recognizing my truck that is crazy to think they are that smart. Well just give it another break and try again , go chase some coyotes in the meantime. I really thought my kid on the crow hand call was the ticket too !

CrowCommander
07-28-2015, 12:06 AM
:tiphat:Well I took my 4 year old daughterand the fusion. Out and still not a thing. I can't believe they are educated because season was closed till July 3rd. You are right though they get educated easily, we only hunt certain areas for a weekend and let them breathe for while after that. As for recognizing my truck that is crazy to think they are that smart. Well just give it another break and try again , go chase some coyotes in the meantime. I really thought my kid on the crow hand call was the ticket too !

Well the main thing was spending time with her in the woods a busted hunt is always a good time to scout or teach youngsters about tracks vocalizations of wildlife just any thing you see to occupy an eager to learn mind I'm sure that's how most of us learned and that's how we pass it on...one more thing I'm not a woods guy really when it comes to crow hunting I prefer long fields where they have a chance to see decoys and drop air but have you tried a good woodlot yet? If you haven't spend a little time around dawn see where a few birds are traveling through.. Then the next mornin slip in good and quiet wait on em a few minutes nothin shows hit the distress get ready and make it count. You will probly only get one volley in because local crows will only be fooled once most times but if you mange to nail the scout in one shot you may nickel and dime to a decent 6 or 7 bird shoot

GoodOlBoy
07-28-2015, 06:52 AM
She's just likes being with dad, only bad part is if she gets her hands on a call in the pickup truck (you thought are we there yet was bad!). We haven't tried the woods yet at all but it's different and I know places to set up where we can get shots up through the tree tops. Well give that a go for sure.

CrowCommander
07-28-2015, 10:22 PM
She's just likes being with dad, only bad part is if she gets her hands on a call in the pickup truck (you thought are we there yet was bad!). We haven't tried the woods yet at all but it's different and I know places to set up where we can get shots up through the tree tops. Well give that a go for sure.

I'd say that would be my go to summer pattern hit em one time then nothin comes back quickly jump ahead of em do it again... I don't have children of my own but I have a friend who's pretty much my brother and on the last visit I gave nephew a duck call needless to say not 100 miles into their return trip lil man was in trouble the call was confiscated and sis in law wasn't fond of bro in law😆😆😆I'm evil I know because I couldn't help but laugh when I done cuz you know little kids and a brand new toy lol

CrowCommander
07-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Ha ha I know what you mean there lol. I got my buddy boy in trouble givin him a duck call lol

jacobhwrd
08-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Our crow season doesn't open here in KY till September but I was noticing while trying to scout that it seemed to be very small groups and they would fly in random directions. I went to crow busters forum to find out why and Bob Aronson (big time crow hunter) told me that during this time of year they are broken up I to very small family groups and that with food so plentiful it will make it much harder to call then in. I tried in TN about a month ago and only got 2 in a couple of hours.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GoodOlBoy
08-06-2015, 08:31 PM
We gave tried pretty well anything we can think of and nothing. We've decided to kind of back off and go after yotes for a while. We have even noticed that we'll see small family groups and they will go crazy communicating and they won't even really fly to each other so I don't feel too bad. I do think it will change soon as it might seem strange but you can almost feel the fall season in the air already. But you are right it's fun getting other kids loud gifts, i once got my nephew a drums and I'm sure I'll pay for that. Funny thing is when we go to their house I never see it set up lol.

GoodOlBoy
08-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Also you speak of Bob A. and I have his sound pack on my fusion. I can't wait till the crow hunting picks up so I can see how they really perform....

jacobhwrd
08-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Also you speak of Bob A. and I have his sound pack on my fusion. I can't wait till the crow hunting picks up so I can see how they really perform....
I don't have any of his sound on my foxpro but I did buy his instructional cd off of crow busters along with a couple of calls. If anyone uses hand calls I would highly recommend then. The where $40 a piece but they are hand made and sound amazing. I was so use to mass produced calls I didn't realize just how bad they sound.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2manyguns
08-08-2015, 08:50 PM
I've hunted crows in winter and spring with constant success. This summer we headed out for the PA opener and couldn't buy a crow. Went the next week and got skunked again. Repeat process.... Is it just wrong time of year and not to bother till fall comes? We've got every crow sound foxpro offers and mouth calls so not sure what problem is. I'm sure others have much more experience and know better then me so any help be appreciated.... just be nice to have another reason to go hunting in the summer!

I get a few over the summer in the city , with my air rifle I think it is only because the garbage dump is about 4-5 miles n/w of me I use the crow owl/ crow gathering calls . I normally only get 1 or 2 a week in the summer , the magpies allways show up first so I manage at least 1 a day sometimes 2 or 3 early sept. is when they start flocking here then I head outa town with a shot gun

2manyguns
08-08-2015, 08:54 PM
we can shoot crows and maggys any time any where provided there isn't a no discharge of firearms ordanance in place

GoodOlBoy
08-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Just thought I'd give an update.....my buddy is a dairy farmer and keeps pretty good tabs on the animals on his this time of year working the fields. He noticed the crows were a little more aggressive and talkative. So I took the fusion out just to try it and see what they did.. low and behold sky was polluted with crows in less then a minute! Needless to say what I'm doing tomorrow morning. The feel outside even with the heat in Northeast PA is almost a touch of fall.... know it seems strange to say you can touch fall but you know what I mean....

GoodOlBoy
08-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Today was a much better day.... we put five on the ground. We called in lots.more just a matter of the man behind the shotgun lol.it was a good day and they came in like they are suppose to, seemed like they shut off at mid day though. Give em a break for a few weeks then go back and hammer em again!

Ohiohunter
12-18-2015, 07:38 PM
our season opens in june and do quite well in summer. I like to wait tho until the corn is head high then call from out in the cornfield. easy to hide but you can see in all directions