www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Crow Hunting

Crow Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about crow hunting here.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM

Default Flambeau crow decoys

Just wondered if anyone has tried these or any other brand crow decoy?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM

I have the standard issue BassPro Shop hard and soft bodied decoys which I believe are made by Flambeau...I've killed crows using them so I guess they qualify as having worked for me.

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association
PPHA.us
Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 PM

Thanks I think I'm going to try a few out this season.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 PM

Throw an Owl decoy in there with the crow decoys, start a crow fight sequence and wait for the crows to come. Being natural enemies other crows can't wait to swoop in and give the owl there two cents worth. Stay hidden and when a few are in range bust them as if you were shooting them from a duck blind. Worked good for us as kids hiding in the thick cedar trees and only stepping out long enough to drop 1-2 then back to the cedars to reload and wait for the next wave. they are smart and won't hang around long once the shooting starts.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmyfish View Post
Just wondered if anyone has tried these or any other brand crow decoy?
I have two foam type decoys with a cloth pin glued to the bottom. They are made by glueing two foam pieces together.

I put mine out in the back yard and attached them to the lower limbs of a small maple three. I put up an owl decoy as well. I put the owl decoy on top of a tomato stake that I drove into soft ground under the maple three.

I used either my FoxPro FX3 or my Johnny Steward PM4's crow fighting sounds and called in the local group of crows.

They work well IMHO. But they only work a few times before the local crows get wise and start to figure out that they are not real. It doesn't take them long to figure it out.

But, if you shoot a few of the crows and leave them lying on the ground it will drive the rest of the crows nuts expecially if the ones on the ground are not dead but only wounded and still talking to the other crows.

A crow in distress sound from the Johnny Stewart PM4 will bring the crows in fast.

Hope this helps.

PS: I'm not sure what type of crow decoys I have. I don't remember what they were called when I bought them. Remember that crows are smart and have excellent eye sight. So if you are going to hunt them wear plenty of camo and cover your face too. Either with camo paint or a face mask that matches the camo you are wearing.

Coyotehunter
Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM

CoyoteHunter brought up a good point..let the dead ones lay..one of the best sounds on my shockwave is dying crow..

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association
PPHA.us
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM

I used to use a set of plastic (can't remember the brand) decoys. Several years ago I got too lazy to carry them out in the woods and set them up. I don't think they really made a huge difference in the amount of crows we kill.