Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > FOXPRO Sounds > Sound Reports

Sound Reports Having a lot of success with a particular sound? Post in here to share what sounds are hot and which ones are not! Also, a great place to share some of your favorite FOXPRO Foxcast sequences!

Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Default New coyote pup distress #3

Got out today right at sunrise, went with distress sounds for 20 minutes with nothing. Played the new pup distess sound #3 for about 1 minute and sat silent, sure enough one came in about the 7 minutes later.

Got down wind of me before I could see it, and ran off,
I saw it about 200yrds out heading away from me.

The wind changed direction on me thoughout the stand. I'll get him in Jan with territorial howls.

Makes me wonder if I should just start out with pup distress sounds.

Anybody else have this happen on a regular basis?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 PM

coyotejim, for the last two years now I have been playing Coyote Pup Screams and or Coyote Death Cry at the end of my stands. Quite a few times I have had coyotes come in after switching to these sounds after being on the stand for 15 minutes.

More often than not the coyotes come in when I am playing a rabbit or bird distress sound in the first eight minutes of the stand.

A little over a week ago I got to see some coyotes through my scope at about 800 yards away take off for my Prairie Blaster as soon as they heard the new Coyote Pup Distress 3 sound. I had been using Female Howls,Male Challenges and a bunch of other sounds and they didn't budge until I went to the Coyote Pup Distress 3 sound.

On Fred Eichler's Predator Nation TV Show not too long ago they had on film three coyotes on a hill top that wouldn't come in to any sound they were using. When they switched to a Pup Distress Sound all three coyotes took off immediately for the Foxpro caller.

Start half of your stands with The Pup Distress sounds and end the other half of your stands with Pup Distress sounds and see what happens.

I do think that quite a few of the coyotes that come in at the start of the stand to Pup Distress sounds would have also come in to a different rabbit or bird distress sound.

I am now a firm believer in using at least one Coyote Pup Distress sound on every stand.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Default New coyote pup distress #3

derbyacresbob,

Thanks for the input. I'll be using this sound alot more.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM

What call number is the coyote dist 3? I cannot find it on the sound lib...
Life Mbr NAHC
US Army Sniper

"Don't Bother To Run You Will Only Die Tired"
Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Mark ll sound library #C27
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Default PUP distress#3

We need to stop bragging about this sound or California will ban it!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Ok, then we will call it Democratic Distress #3. If it's going to be baned, might as well have a good reason.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:01 PM

Default coyote pup distress 3

I've had more luck with this sound than any others, it's amazing how they just come hauling ass to it.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Amen to that Ridgeshooter! Last Sunday, I set up on a dog I ran out of some calving areas on my way in. As I was unloading my ATV, the howling started from the direction he headed so I went there first. Walked into area, hit cottontail on FX3 and nothing. Got group to howl back once and then shut up so figured I got busted walking in. I was about to head out when I saw a coyote sitting about 500yds out looking my direction but also looking back over his shoulder - my sign there is at least one more with - so I hit the pup distress#3 and watching him in my bino's, immediately perked his ears and stood up on all fours. I played pup distress about 15 sec. then shut off as I notice that gets them to commit whether they are coming or not and gives them a general direction. That coyote took off on a dead run and soon was joined by 4 others, all running shoulder to shoulder in a line that looked like a greyhound race at the track. Holy crap, now what? Half way to me I hit one more burst of the pup distress to get them on line and just waited. The first dog I blasted at 16yds and the second one I got at 85yds. If I had my shotgun, I probably could have taken 3 in one shot at about 20yds, but only had my .243 bolt action, so taking 2 of the 5 wasn't bad. finished with 6 for the day and missed a 7th one later. This time of year and through April and part of May is a dead ringer for using the pup distress. I have many multiples called in and shot with just the pup distress and no other call used during the set.