Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Night Hunting

Night Hunting If you're afraid of the dark, this might not be the right forum for you. If not, turn off your light and share your stories, post your photos, and ask away.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Default coon calling

Hi guys!! Guess this my first thread start. I have been out calling coons nighting for a month or better. And i was having very good luck with Coon puppies. Now it just seems they look at me out of the den, so my question is what should i change it up with?
Here is the list i put on my call
11. 266 Raccoon Puppies
12. 352 Raccoon & Baby Cottontail
13. NOO Raccoon Distress #1
14. NO1 Raccoon Distress #2
15. NO2 Raccoon Fight
16. NO4 Young Raccoon Distress
17. NO5 Aggressive Raccoon
18. NO6 Mad Boar Raccoon
19. NO8 Raccoon Puppies
20. NO9 Raccoon Puppies Distress
21. NO10 Raccoon Pup Cries

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Default coons

last nights take calling. Did kill 2 laying in trees. All on 1 mile of creek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coons.jpg (19.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Same thing has been happening to me. Have noticed it other years too, as the weather gets a little colder they don't move as much. Often they just lay up in the trees and if they hear or see you coming they duck back down in the hole. I have had some luck hunting with a partner and having one person hide by the tree the coon is in and the other person keep on walking past the for a hundred yards or so and start calling again. Don't set up too close to the den but stay back a ways. I use a .22 mag so I can shoot a little farther away.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Hunted last night after the blizzard contidions we had Wednesday. It was cold!! 15-20 degrees and dropped fast with light wind. Not much movement but we thought it was worth a try. I used coon fight mixed with mad boar and drew them out. Ended the night killing 3.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 PM

do you guys blind or "cold" call? or do you scout the area for dens? or do you just walk a creek bed calling every so often? Im from central PA and I dont know anyone who calls coons around here and Im pretty interested in getting into it, thanks ahead
Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 PM

I will call to the den tree if I am familar to the area. If I don't know the woods I'll call every couple hundred yards for several minutes. It doesn't take coon very long usually to respond. Alot of the time they will climb up a tree to look at the noise. If I have a corn field along a woods I'll just leave the caller on and walk slowly along the edgelooking into the trees. You can't see into the corn but they often go into the woods and climb a tree.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:48 PM

Try calling in he day ! They will respond all day long but there are better days than others. I call mostly den trees and lots of them. No response in 3-5 minutes I move on. I set the caller close to the base and behind the tree with a decoy so they can't see it I sit to the side so they can't see me looking out the hole. I like more volume and so do a lot of the coons I call. Start at medium volume and work it up and down. Sounds like they are rolling around. I use a pup distress and move into a fight sound.