Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Feline Hunting

Feline Hunting No, not the place for housecats. This is for the "other"cats, including bobcats and mountain lions (the BIG cats).

Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Bobcat calling tips

Hey Guys, I am new to cat calling and need some help getting started. I live in northern PA and I have a mix of hills, fields, valleys, and thick hillsides. In my area we don't have a lot of cats. What areas should I focus on during hunting? How long should I stay on stand? Should I hunt day or night? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Valleys and thick hillsides will hold more cats. They will respond at any time, but night is better.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 AM

Sounds like I have about the terrain as you, as Weasel said they love the thick cover and they are very quiet when approaching. My stands have been about 30 minutes but I can't figure out a call that will work good for me yet. Don't give up on em' and good luck.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 PM

Default I'm new to this too, but..

I'm new to this too, but I can tell you what not to use if you want cats to come in. I had tried calling in the same area 3 times over a three week period. My hunting partner and I were more or less trying to call in coyotes and were using rabbit in distress mostly, with some crow calling too. Before leaving I would try a coyote call or two. We were hunting about 30 minutes or so then leaving; and we were also trying to pull something out of the woods into the edge of corn fields. Saturday, I went back to the same area (alone) but set up in the woods along the edge of the field. I called with the rabbit distress call for about 15 minutes, then switched to crow fight for about 3 minutes, then paused for a couple minutes. Then I put on the mole squealing, started it low and worked the volume up. Within 2 minutes the bobcat popped into site 50' +/- in front of me, with lots of coverage behind it. I dropped it with my .243. I'm guessing we were doing two things wrong on previous hunts (1) using coyote calls, (cats don't like dogs), (2) we were leaving a little too early, and perhaps trying to draw the animals out of their comfort zone? Keep on trying, and don't give up!
DaddyA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webpagemenbobcat.jpg (61.9 KB, 204 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Ole Rookie, try red bellied woodpecker #2 or any high pitched bird sounds. that works for me. I always start a set with a coyote howl before I get set up. then I high pitch (bird sound) call for about 15 min then I go silent for about 4 to 5 min then if nothing has come in I move to yote vocals. good luck.
Scope: Simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10x40
Shells: Hornady ballistics 32 grain
close encounter backup: 12 guage BAIKAL semi auto
Shells: Supreme Super shells
baitrabbit30
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Nice looking cat by the way DaddyA.
Scope: Simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10x40
Shells: Hornady ballistics 32 grain
close encounter backup: 12 guage BAIKAL semi auto
Shells: Supreme Super shells
baitrabbit30
Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 PM

DEFINATELY dont use any coyote calls is you are hoping for a cat to come in haha. As Daddy A put as perfect as can be said, Cats do not like dogs. Just like the yotes dont like foxes, same thing goes for yotes and cats. They will run them off, and sometimes up a tree. I know on my property we see most of the cats we have seen on camera or in person come out of our swamp or wetland areas. Now these areas also hold alot of rock formations and outcroppings that seem to be where they like to den up. I was always of the mind that "its a cat, cats dont like water", so i never paid much attention to the swamps or wetlands when looking for them. But after putting cameras on two wetland game trails last winter i couldnt believe how many pictures i had of cats walking right along the edge of the water. A much older and wiser hunter then me put it pretty simply like this, "your a predator looking for dinner, every animal you want to eat needs to drink water, why not go right to the fountain?" made alot of sense, and at least on my property the cats love the wetlands and swampy areas with alot of thicket surrounding them. Good luck. Still looking for "monster bob", but no sightings yet so far this fall. Hes a record big cat that has put a big dent in my turkeys the past two winters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monster bob2.jpg (96.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg monster bob1.jpg (96.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IM000025.jpg (102.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Nice cat DaddyA. Persistence does pay off. Plus using the right calls .
Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 PM

I dont agree with the "Cats dont like Dogs". Was out the other night and when we exited the truck we heard a coyote howling across the road. We set up and started to call with distress and the coyote came to about 125 yds and hung up for about 30 minutes , howling back at us the whole time. Didnt matter what we did he just would not come up over the ridge edge to the field edge we were watching. My partner even tried howling as he moved away leaving me there for an ambush. After that whole concoction of calling, howling,calling, partner howling as he moved away and then coming back to our original position (about 1 1/2 hours total) over to our right out walks a large bobcat. it weighed 28 lbs. We also got 2 reds that night (Different location)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Guess it depends where you are with the cats and dogs living in harmony thing Anything can happen i guess, but the 2 times we have seen a yote and bobcat come into the same field together, the yote has charged them and run them off, and one up a tree. Nothing holds water 100% of the time, theres always that chance anything can happen. All i was saying is that if you are going hunting and you are trying to call in a cat, i would go with rabbit or bird distress sounds rather then a coyote locater or some other yote sound. Thats just strictly based on what weve had great success with here