Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Question Full moon

What kind of affect does a full moon have on coyote activity. Are they more active during the night on a full moon? And does that make it harder to call them during the day.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM

I believe when their is a full moon it is kinda like a deer. they move alot during the night. but unless i am mistaken then I think coyote move alot during the night anyway. I have had great success calling in coyote in the a.m. and right before sundown. I have called a few time in the evening but never really had a great light system to get the full affect of it. the moon is better for seeing them better though that is for sure. mid-day is the only part of the day that I really have never called during.
Scope: Simmons whitetail classic 3.5-10x40
Shells: Hornady ballistics 32 grain
close encounter backup: 12 guage BAIKAL semi auto
Shells: Supreme Super shells
baitrabbit30
Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Not to say I am having much luck this year calling coyotes, but as of right now we are right on a full moon, and most of the coyote sightings I have seen recently have been after 9 am. I think it makes coyotes move more at night, but you can't kill em if you don't go. Good luck, because I'm not having any lately.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Can't "discharge a firearm" at night up here but for what it's worth someone posted on another site that coyotes are most active 45 minutes either side of moon rise and moon set, regardless of whether it's daylight or not.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM

Madrabbit, that has always amazed me, the state of Illinois has some of the dumbest gun laws ever put into effect, yet they allow me to hunt at night during certain parts of they year. I also agree strongly with the coyote movements aroun moon rise and moon set during the daylight hours.