Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Default Pennsylvania Eastern Coyotes

Do you think that coyotes in different parts of Pa act different? Not that certain ones from different parts of the state are smarter. I have called in coyotes all over Pa.. However notice that the South Central Pa coyotes that live within the populated areas of the state will come to the call different.. For example.. When hunting farms in SCPA they will come to the call and place an obstacle in their approaching path... Like the farmers house.. They will come right through and along the side of the house.. or they will aproach your calling area by coming right down the county road to your position.. Of course you can't shoot them because there they are standing on the road and looking right at you.. To shoot you would be breaking the law. They approach the sound by coming through corral that have live stock in it..
What I really think it is that it's so populated and they can just live anywhere. That when they come to the call they just use the path of least resistance.. In many cases it areas that you can't shoot in SCPA..
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sja.223

In southwestern pa we noticed that they seem to always use the path of least resistance. If a farm road or trail is present, they're using it. If we hunt fields with heavily used deer trails that resemble cow paths, they're on it. If no trails are visible to and from pastures, they seem pop out of anywhere.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sja.223

My predator hunting partner always want to try and setup on long firebreak trails or the pathways separating fields we encounter on state game lands . Most of these are very narrow. I just can't bring myself to sit and watch a narrow path. A big long and wide power line is different story though. Guess I'm not as experimental as him.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM

I too have noticed when I hunt a farm in my neck of the woods (Hershey area) is the yotes hold in the adjacent property which is across a road, posted and owned by anti hunters. Almost like deer in that regard. Its a haven. Was out last night trying for fox on said farm and as I was packing up and creeping back to the truck the yips and howls began. 4 or 500 yards Im guessing on the other side of the road and just beyond the house and out buildings on the posted property. When they do travel onto my hunting grounds they cross the road, hit a tractor trail, one of which runs along the side of a house and snake along the shacks, fencerows and what not..can definatley agree with your thoughts unclebuck
Old 11-27-2011, 11:01 PM

I use to hunt coyotes like I hunt fox... I no longer hunt them that way and my call in's have increased in leaps and bounds...In Pa they are easy to call in but you have to make sure they are there.. Many people go blindly into the wild and try to call in coyotes and they fail..The way I hunt them is with respect...They are not just a plain ole dog...They are mammals and we are mammals.. What impacts one mammal will impact other mammals..What impacts you impacts them. Sit down and think what affects man and you can tailor your calling to impact the same things that impacts the coyotes...
Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 PM

well, to add on to the thread, and the farm that i had mentioned above, about 7am this morning, opening of deer rifle season, i get a text from the landowner saying he had yotes howling all around him as he was heading to his treestand...he wasnt thrilled. he ended up checking his deercam and its safe to now call it a coyotecam...got a snapshot of a healthy looking dog...and not many of deer. he originally wanted me to wait until deer season was over to resume calling but that plan has now changed..will post cam pic as soon as i figure out how..these coyotes are spoiled in that they hole up in the large posted property and the large school campus property both of which are unhuntable. the affect on the deer was shockingly apparent today.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 AM

Once deer season is over watch where the deer are coring up... Where the deer are that is where the coyotes will be...Even up in NEPA when I hunt there... If I drive in to some of the public lands to hunt at night... If I don't see deer along the roads feeding I don't see coyotes either but if I see deer feeding I also call in coyotes.. Surely you saw the study in the Harrisburg Patriot News that the Pa coyotes do have wolf genes and not regular coyote genes.. Now what you want to do is to use coyote vocalization to make the coyotes think that your a coyote outside of the pack and you want their deer, their females, and their young.. See this is what I mean when I say you hunt them like the mammals that we are.. We'd get upset about the same thing if someone else try to take all three of these away from us... Truly learn to yank their chain and you will do well!!!