Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:45 PM

Default 17 Hornet

I saw that Hornady is starting to make a 17 Hornet 20 grain Superformance load for 2012. It also appears that Savage and CZ are adding the caliber to their 2012 rifle catalog. I am very interested in getting a 17 centerfire as I have heard they are great "fur savers". Would anyone be willing to share their expertise as to the advantages/disadvantages of the 17 rem, 17 hornet, and 17 hach 4?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:09 PM

I own a .17 Remington. I love it. Best pelt gun I have ever shot. 150 yards and in it will kill just as quick, or quicker than the bigger calibers. But shells are expensive, and they don't like heavy winds.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM

I have several 17's, all in the 17 Remington. Finest caliber I've ever owned. Out to 250yds. wind drift isn't that noticeable to me over other calibers. The draw back to the 17 Rem. is the terrible factory loads, so if you don't reload it might not be for you. The 17 Fireball is a super caliber with a little more factory offerings, but you'll be much better off reloading for it also. The 17 Fireball and 17 Hornet are great Fox/Bobcat calibers, with the ability to down Coyotes at shorter ranges. Say out to 200yds., but with the Fireball able to extend a bit farther. If I was honing in on mostly Fox, I would go with the 17 Hornet. It is based off of the 17 AH, which is one of the finest Fox calibers going. Now when I say Fox/Bobcat/Coyote calibers, I'm meaning Pelt friendly. If you are looking to just kill Coyotes, then go as big as you can stand to shoot.
If you reload, then the 17 Rem. is the best of the lot. It can be loaded down to equal the 17 Fireball and if it will stabilize 30gr. bullets, then the sky is the limit so to speak. There is something rather magical about that little round. I've been shooting one since 1971 and if you haven't figured it out, I love that caliber.
One word of caution concerning the 17's. They require well placed hits. Stay off of bone like the shoulders of a Coyote and it will put them down every bit as fast as any other caliber.
And another caution, they are very addictive. I hear that the 17-204 is extremely addictive and a super Coyote killer. Something about a 30gr. bullet traveling around 4200 fps and around 180,000rpm (or there abouts) that just floors a Coyote without an exit hole.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Thanks for all the info. I may grab the new Savage 17 hornet is lightweight varminter or walking varminter.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:42 PM

I love the 17 Centerfires... I have two 17 Rem and one 17 Fireball... I would love to have a 17 Hornet in the Encore Configuration... My 17 Fireball shoots outstanding with 25 grain HP reloads. My 17 Rem.. a 700 BDL and 17 Rem Encore shoots well with factory and reload.