Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting Near and dear to the FOXPRO Family. The place for all discussions specific to fox hunting, including stories, photos, techniques, and questions.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Default Awesome SC PA snow hunt

Pete Hauer called me and told me a friend of his was coming to my area to hunt fox and suggested we hook up. A few phone calls with Kirk McKendree and the hunt was set.

Kirk and I met up at my house around 9pm and loaded up and headed to the first call location.

Walking out into the field the wind was variable so we set up the best we could. At 19 mins into the set we caught a fox coming across the snow but the wind swirled and the fox caught our sent and was on a rope back to the woods. Kirk was using the e-caller and a mouth call.

We decided to go back to the truck and go to the other side of the farm and try again. At the second set the wind was perfect and Kirk scored on the second fox of the night. We worked our way about 400 yards farther back in the field to make another set to work another woodlot. Setting up there was a fox barking at us down through the woods and we didn't see anything.

After a 20 min drive to the second set we evaluated the landscape and where to set up on an arial photo. We walked out to the set and got situated. Kirk fired up the Scorpion with him watching the long shot with his 17 Mach 4 and me watching the closer fencerow with the shotgun. About 20 mins into the set Kirk's kill light came on and the second fox was on the ground. Kirk said to sit tight and worked the volume on the e-caller up and down a little and the 4th fox of the night came up the fencerow. Unfortunately I wasn't positioned properly for the shot and it caught me on my swing to shoot and bugged out.

We went to another field on the farm for our next set and nothing was seen there.

On to farm #3. After looking at the ariel photo and telling Kirk where I thought the fox would come out we were on for the next set. At this point the clouds cleared out and temps were dropping fast towards the mid teens. We were about 18 mins into this set when we spotted eyes coming out right where I thought they would. This guy came charging to within 15 yards of us. Facing us I settled the crosshairs just under his chin and fired. This guy whirled and was gone in a flash with Kirk firing one despiration shot but missed.. I should have brought the shotgun but this time I grabbed my 17HMR. Had a pile of gray hair on the ground but no fox or blood. Kirk and I followed the tracks to make sure but he was running hard and we were convinced it was just a haircut night for him.

One more set for the night. About 800 yards from the last set we had everything set and were calling when an unheard visitor decided to land less than 2 feet from the e-caller. We had an owl looking at us from 15 feet away. No fox were seen from this set. Kirk joked on the way back to the truck that only in this county does he have to wear a hardhat when he is working is mouth calls. Always has trouble with owls here.

So in seven sets we saw 5 fox and had 2 in the back of my jeep. Had an awesome night. What amazed me most was the VERY low volume used and the fox charging in so fast and hard. I would imagine the snow that was on the ground and the temps being between 10-38 degrees for most of the past month and a half they are a little more hungry than normal for this time of year. Most calls used were bird calls. I being a rookie predator hunter am not sure which ones they were exactly but they worked like a charm.

Oh and the fox that I gave a haircut to was less than 20 yards from the kill site of the one I harvested with Pete on the Bright Moonlight hunt. All sets except the last we were setting in the open fields with snow camo.

Last edited by PAcowboy; 01-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Default Very nice hunt writeup Tom!

Sounds like you guys had a super hunt. Kirk is absolutely one of the top callers around and a heck of a good guy. Nice to see you guys hooked up for a successful hunt.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Pete,

We had a great time. Maybe sometime we can all get out together. Tom thanks for hunting with me. Pete taught you well. You are well ahead of the game at this point. Keep my email address so you can send me your success photos that are in your future. Thanks again! Shoot straight.

FOXPRO Field Staff
Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM

You are welcome Kirk. And Thank you as well. I learned a lot from you. Pete was right when he said you knew what you were doing. I know the two hunts with you and Pete have taught me more than I could have ever imagined to learn on my own through hunting on my own and DVD's. Thank you to both of you.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Anytime. It was a good hunt!

FOXPRO Field Staff
Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 PM

Great night, good for you guys. You mentioned low settings on the Scorpion. Do you recall what level. Looking for tips as my "Jack in the Box" and Magnalight came in and am planning a night hunt for Fox/Yotes in Huntingdon Co. before Fox season goes out.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Sounds like you guys had some fun and fur to boot. Congrats guys!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM

MrMajestic: I don't know what the setting was. All I know is with the call sitting about 15 yards away I could barely hear it sometimes. Fox came charging in.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've been using level 8 and have had decent success however I am curious what is working for others. I am deaf as a post and can hear it at 25 yards. Never thought about too loud and your post brought it to light. Thanks again.