Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Question Coyote hunting in march

Ok, I think the coyotes are breeding. What are some tactics to take coyotes in march. Time of day, Calls, ect?
Right now there are a lot of cows calving in the area and the coyotes are harrassing them.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM

Welcome to the forums.
Same tactics, use more coyote vocals if ya want. Any time of day that you can get out.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM

30-40 kraig This is my first year hunting predators
I don't know where you are from. I am from Indiana. I set up on March 6 and managed to get one coyote to about 75 yards. It was very clear she was very pregnant. This would have been my segond coyote kill. But I turned it down anyway.
But" we have an appointment come december. Is anyone else seeing pregnant coyotes.
There is a red fox that has young every year about 250 yards from my house. There have been muddy tracks. She has been using this den since Feb 18.
I will not kill these foxes near my house. But they sure have helped me to learn how to use my new foxpro FX3. I just got a rimington 700 .223 I can't wait untill next season.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Pregnant! WOW a chance to kill 8 with one bullet. Around here coyotes are not game animals and I hunt them to kill them. They kill deer and antelope fawns, and have been taking a few calves lately. I just read that biologist estimate it takes a 78% kill on coyotes by hunters to have a meaningful affect on the population. Less than that and they just have 9 pups instead of 2 and the population doesn't change. They have been almost completely wiped out by mange 2 times. Once the mange clears out it don't take long to have a lot of coyotes again. They kill fox too. When the coyote population dives the fox increase. I hunt deer antelope fox bobcat lion cottontail goose grouse pheasant and partridge and have been hunting long enough that the kill is no longer important to me. The Quest is where it is at. There is only one animal that I enjoy killing- you guessed it-COYOTE.
Rem mod 700 in 223---Wise choice
Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 PM

i second cawalsh2, coyotes kill 48% of our fawns 80% of our elk caves, 30% of our quail and raise hell with our exotics, keeping their production very low, we dont hunt them for sport although it gets pretty sporty some times, the 2 critters i will shoot on sight are a pig and a coyote and females are on the top of my list. rio7
Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM

I'm with you guys. Coyotes kill a lot of deer fawns every spring. Some estimate more than 50% of the deer fawns fall prey to coyotes.

Coyotes are the top predator and kill all types of smaller animals that we human's hunt. Rabbits, quail, ducks, geese, and anything that they can catch including the neighbor's cats and small dogs.

Coyotehunter
Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 PM

I find March much easier to call them in around these parts...
Vortex 4x12x50 crossfire
Hornady V-Max 58gr
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

When breeding season is on, like it is now, I use almost exclusively coyote vocals. I do use Yote Coyote decoy a bunch from now on out too.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Fawn Peditation is more than that

I have a study here conducted in North Carolina that claims fawn predatation there in the five years they studied it was actually 85%
No wonder they keep things in check