Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > FOXPRO Products > Accessories & Other

Accessories & Other Discuss all other FOXPRO products from batteries and chargers, carrying cases, lanyards, and all other products in this forum.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:30 AM

Default conflicting battery charging instructions

I have a new Scorpion and a new battery charger. The battery charger says to charge with battery door open to allow better cooling as cell temp increases, but the instruction booklet that came with caller specifically says to charge with door closed and latched because of exposed circuitry. So any one know for sure which way it is?
thanks
FFF
Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 AM
FOXPRO Administration

furfinfeather,

The instruction manual is correct. You want to charge with the Scorpion closed. We are using a thermistor in the battery compartment that will monitor the battery temperature, and if it gets too high, it will stop the charge to prevent overheating. If the lid is closed, it can't monitor temperature correctly. Also, keeping the lid closed will help to prevent anything from getting on the circuit board.

Where did you get the charger at? Even though we are using the same chargers as we have in the past, the verbage changed on the chargers when we added battery protection on our units.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 AM

Mike
Thanks for your response. I bought the charger online from Macks Prairie Wings. I notice now that it is a Fx series charger. I hope it is ok for use with my Scorpion x1a.
Although I thought it made sense to allow batteries to stay cooler with the door open while charging, It seemed to make more sense to keep circuitry closed and protected.

Last edited by furfinfeather; 11-03-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM
FOXPRO Administration

furfinfeather,

Yes, it's the same charger for the Scorpion. Since we have installed thermal protection in our units to prevent from overheating and damaging the units, the thermistor needs to be able to properly monitor battery temperature. With the lid open, you have more outside air cooling the dept. With the lid closed, you can better monitor the temp. Hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Thanks, cant wait to try call out.
FFF