Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Looking for new coon/fox rifle

So I'm in the market for a new rifle for night hunting mainly fox and raccoon and possibly a coyote if he is stationery and close enough . I have a 204 that is my dedicated coyote gun but I'm afraid it would be devastating on fox. I also have a 17 hmr but I'm looking for something with more ko power. Can't decide between 22 mag, 17 wsm, or 22 hornet. Hear 22 hornet is an excellent round but ammo is hard to find and I don't reload. 17 wsm sounds promising if can find one that shoots well. Suggestions

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM

I love my 22 mag. with 40gr. hp. However if I did not have it and was looking to buy a gun for coon and fox, an occasional coyote. I think I might go the way of the 17 WSM. Not so much for shots under 150yds. But for that occasion where I might want to take a shot up to a 200yds. if the right opportunity arose. I think the ballistics over all is better. But either the 22 mag or 17WSM. 22 Hornet I think would do too much damage to a coon and or a fox at close range. I know there is a difference between the 22 mag and the 17HMR, but I feel that they are relativity close. With the 22 mag. being superior up to 125yds. and then the 17 HMR takes over because the 22mag peters out. Anyway that's my opinion. I would recommend you look at availability for ammo, and check the ballistics, Not only for trajectory but also for energy.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM

22mag . Cheaper ammo an easy to find . An will do the job easily .
Old 01-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Well....Mike Dillon himself stated the 22Hornet is the best all around predator rifle there is (for East Coast hunting). He just may be right. Ammo is not difficult to find at all in my parts. I sort of regret buying a 17 Hornet instead of the 22 Hornet.

204 is fine on fox....bullet choice and placement paramount of course. I switched to 204 this year after using a plethora of 17 Hornets since it came out (eventually Hornady 25gr HP was the best).

I love the 22 Winny........if you are looking for both a coon and fox round though in my opinion the 22 WSSM would be the better choice. I have witnessed MD Archer make some sweet kills with that rimfire on fox.....and on ground grizz which is about the same skin toughness as a coon.

When yotes are mixed in......remember the old saying which is always sound advice......"use enough gun" for how you hunt. That's why I ditched the 17 Hornet, and admit I snicker at folks using little bitty stuff on yotes at distance, no matter how scientific they are in defending the use. The internet can be entertaining!

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-13-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=XNAVYORDIE;

I love the 22 Winny........if you are looking for both a coon and fox round though in my opinion the 22 WSSM would be the better choice. I have witnessed MD Archer make some sweet kills with that rimfire on fox

havent heard of a 22wssm what is it/ parent case etc .
Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 PM

I think he meant to write 17 WSM. He is also saying what others have stated their opinion. I saw Mike Dillon shoot a gray fox through the chest and the fox ran. I have never had a fox or coyote run after getting hit by the 17 Hornet. EVER. He also said he ditched the 17 Hornet why, because he could not shoot it well enough. He has always had problems with his. And if memory serves me right, he has never killed a coyote(s). So there for has no first hand knowledge of what a 17 Hornet is capable of doing to a coyote. I have shot and I have seen what this round is capable of first hand on coyotes. I preform autopsy on everything I kill with a rifle to verify what the round does on impact. I am not saying that the 17 Hornet is best coyote cal. out there. I will not say it will put them down 100% of the time. Would any of you say a 204, 22-250 will ? Heck, guys hit them with 243. and they run. But I will say this in regards to the 17Hornet and you can take it to the bank. You take a 25grhp. and you put into the vitals of the biggest coyote out to 200yds you are going to kill him. That little bitty stuff at 200yds. will deliver all its energy and blow shrapnel into all his vitals. This dog weighed 53lbs DRT. was over 170yds. Hole thru his heart, blew shrapnel into his lungs, exploded the liver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1509223222007.jpg (25.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1509217465210.jpg (18.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:00 AM

In the pictures above. That nail was placed in the hole that went thru his heart. The black looking thing is his liver. Here he is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1509199556590.jpg (24.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1509237230269 (1).jpg (14.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=2manyguns;85168][QUOTE=XNAVYORDIE;

I love the 22 Winny........if you are looking for both a coon and fox round though in my opinion the 22 WSSM would be the better choice. I have witnessed MD Archer make some sweet kills with that rimfire on fox

havent heard of a 22wssm what is it/ parent case etc .[/QUOTE]

OOPS.......total case of brain flatulence on my part.....yep meant 17 WSM.....; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Eyes View Post
I think he meant to write 17 WSM. He is also saying what others have stated their opinion. I saw Mike Dillon shoot a gray fox through the chest and the fox ran. I have never had a fox or coyote run after getting hit by the 17 Hornet. EVER. He also said he ditched the 17 Hornet why, because he could not shoot it well enough. He has always had problems with his. And if memory serves me right, he has never killed a coyote(s). So there for has no first hand knowledge of what a 17 Hornet is capable of doing to a coyote. I have shot and I have seen what this round is capable of first hand on coyotes. I preform autopsy on everything I kill with a rifle to verify what the round does on impact. I am not saying that the 17 Hornet is best coyote cal. out there. I will not say it will put them down 100% of the time. Would any of you say a 204, 22-250 will ? Heck, guys hit them with 243. and they run. But I will say this in regards to the 17Hornet and you can take it to the bank. You take a 25grhp. and you put into the vitals of the biggest coyote out to 200yds you are going to kill him. That little bitty stuff at 200yds. will deliver all its energy and blow shrapnel into all his vitals. This dog weighed 53lbs DRT. was over 170yds. Hole thru his heart, blew shrapnel into his lungs, exploded the liver.

My 17HH is one of the most accurate rifles I own....I often refer to it as a "laser"......and I can do quite well with it.....LMFAO....

Yep on the bold anyways.....; )

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-14-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:30 PM

If you are looking for a fox/coon gun...look no further than a 17WSM. Shooting a centerfire in the air bothers me, so when going for coons and they climb a tree the 17wsm is the bees knees.

As for all the talk on the hornet. Love that caliber and have killed a couple foxes with Navy's gun. I have 0 experience with it on coyotes, nor do I ever intend to. If I do have an opportunity with that gun in my hand, I will limit it to 150. Any farther I do not want to take a chance. I am not saying that anyone else has not or will not have success, but I am not willing to take that chance. I owe that to the coyote. For an example, I shot a fox with my 204, far superior to the 17 hornet when it comes to KE, in the face. Upon retrieving the fox it was still alive. Some may say that I cannot shoot and such, but variations happen all the time and ultimately shot placement is key. With that said, I have never done an autopsy on any of my animals so I am not sure what they look like inside, but at night I want a little extra incase my poor marksmanship is not up to par.

17wsm is the gun you want to your question...pretty simple answer really.

Your 204 will be awesome on fox using the 40 grain vmax slowed down. My fur guy loved that set up when I was taking foxes to him.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Archer View Post
If you are looking for a fox/coon gun...look no further than a 17WSM. Shooting a centerfire in the air bothers me, so when going for coons and they climb a tree the 17wsm is the bees knees.

As for all the talk on the hornet. Love that caliber and have killed a couple foxes with Navy's gun. I have 0 experience with it on coyotes, nor do I ever intend to. If I do have an opportunity with that gun in my hand, I will limit it to 150. Any farther I do not want to take a chance. I am not saying that anyone else has not or will not have success, but I am not willing to take that chance. I owe that to the coyote. For an example, I shot a fox with my 204, far superior to the 17 hornet when it comes to KE, in the face. Upon retrieving the fox it was still alive. Some may say that I cannot shoot and such, but variations happen all the time and ultimately shot placement is key. With that said, I have never done an autopsy on any of my animals so I am not sure what they look like inside, but at night I want a little extra incase my poor marksmanship is not up to par.

17wsm is the gun you want to your question...pretty simple answer really.

Your 204 will be awesome on fox using the 40 grain vmax slowed down. My fur guy loved that set up when I was taking foxes to him.
Agreed with Archer. Although if a yote comes in and I have that 17 HH my limit is under 100. So, I was called out by the Critter Coroner/Scientist as not having first hand knowledge of killing yotes, and not being able to shoot well enough. Well, I have killed many yotes, not with the 17 Hornet. 308, 223......and once upon a time even 7.62X39. While stationed in Southern California as a Small Arms Instructor the training areas were full of yotes. Early morning at "Alpha" range (rifle out to 800) was a hoot. Hand call and a M14, M16, M21 Kit or M700 kit was a hoot.....and yes, even hit with those boom sticks yotes at times ran into the brush to expire. Mostly 5.56 was used. GI ammo with FMJ pulled and swapped for a Nosler BT same COL. Ruger No 1 Varminter...good yote medicine....; )......point being when someone is aware and even states that larger calibers sometimes have run offs.....why chance it with smaller calibers? Funny how you don't see the Pros or Tournament types using the little guns. To me that 17 Hornet is neat little round that has its place as it was designed.

I have hunted with Archer for several years.....and he is a marksman for sure. I have witnessed some fantastic pokes by him, as he has witnessed mine (even with the 17 Hornet....LOL).

As for the 40gr load.....he's correct.....but I think that was a hint for me to get the press going again.....; )

See?....I did state the internet is entertaining didn't I???.......