Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Default Which 17?

so for my first post i gotta ask, for the guys using 17's what would you recommend. 17wsm or 17 hornet? looking at either the Bmag target or the model 25 thumb hole.

Thanks, CavinJ
Old 12-06-2017, 01:11 PM

17 hornet
There totally different type of gun.
Center fire , rim fire.
Center fire for coyotes, rim fire for gophers...
Old 12-06-2017, 03:20 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

What Furguy said.

And I'd add, even the Hornet is minimal, for coyote. Will work, with shot placement and all that. As would the rimfire, for that matter. But the Hornet will provide a much greater cushion in terms of range was well as penetration and energy to bail you out of less than surgically perfect shot placement.

A bigger .17, like the Fireball or better yet the Rem. will add a lot more of that cushion.

- DAA
Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 PM

Sound advice from both Furguy and DAA.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 PM

If you are going to be into more yotes than fox.......forget about the 17 WSM and go with more than the 17 Hornet. You know the saying ......bring enough gun.

Yes folks kill them with both.....but neither were meant for more than light varmints.....heavy predators need more to be sure.....ethically, I want more to be sure.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavinJ View Post
so for my first post i gotta ask, for the guys using 17's what would you recommend. 17wsm or 17 hornet? looking at either the Bmag target or the model 25 thumb hole.

Thanks, CavinJ
I guess the question to you is what are you using it for ? And do you reload ? with a 17 Hornet you can reload. With any light caliber shot placement is more critical. If you are going to just shoot at the animal regardless of shot placement opportunity go bigger or you will be disappointed. The .204, 22-250, 243, which I have I can take a big coyote off his feet at 300yds with a bad body shot and blowing a huge hole. With a 17, he will run most of the time. With no snow and at night spell lost dog.

I personally use a 17 H. CZ Varmint with 25 gr. HP reloads. I hunt at night, and I have taken red and gray fox, as well as coyotes up to 172 yds. one shot drop can't find a hole.
I spoke with a guy last week who has put down deer with a shot to the inside corner of the eye out to 100 yds. from a 17wsm, I also know a farmer that does the same thing. It's not right. It's against the law. I don't recommend anyone trying that with any caliber Period. But that the fact is, if your good and you know your rifle, know trajectory, wind drift, and the anatomy of the animal you are pursing. You can do almost anything.