www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Crow Hunting

Crow Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about crow hunting here.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Crow Hunting Shotguns

I just wondered what everyone used for shotguns, what brand and type, special chokes maybe, shell types. I'm thinking about a new shotgun and have a good idea what I want. Just thought it'd give everyone a chance to share their rig and maybe give me a new idea (not like any need any of those). Pics if ya got em!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 PM

Browning Maxus, Pattern Master extended range choke, 7.5 or 8 shot in 3"
Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM

My crow hunting gun is a Benelli sbe 2 usually mod choke sometimes improved or cylinder bore depending on the crows temperament and my cockiness lol. I've hunted with 870s gold hunters but the Benelli is my work gun it's selling points are light weight, balanced, and excellent point ability.. I also hunt with my beretta 686 regularly.. My ammo of choice is handloaded 1 1/8 #8 at 1474 in my twelve and 7/8 of #8 at 1350 in my 20 #9 has been excellent on birds 30 and in. Both guns are 28 inch. If I was recommending an auto loader I would say go with the m2 unless you are needing a 3 1/2 gun for other things and save some weight and dough
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM

I went crow hunting for the first time w a buddy this past sunday. I must admit, we had a hell of a time! I also was really surprised how well they can pick you out. Since I have never done it, I brought my 20 ga 870 w a full choke and had some Remington express #5's. I shot at 5 crows and never killed one. I thought they were just tough birds but maybe I just don't have enough BB's in the air?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I went crow hunting for the first time w a buddy this past sunday. I must admit, we had a hell of a time! I also was really surprised how well they can pick you out. Since I have never done it, I brought my 20 ga 870 w a full choke and had some Remington express #5's. I shot at 5 crows and never killed one. I thought they were just tough birds but maybe I just don't have enough BB's in the air?
Shootin fives is really cutting your pellet count down, if you stay with the twenty try the aa super sport load in 7.5 or 8 good pellet count and good velocity..what possibly happened is you misjudged yardage they look a lot closer being black. They're really along the lines of pigeons as far as bone structure goes.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowCommander View Post
Shootin fives is really cutting your pellet count down, if you stay with the twenty try the aa super sport load in 7.5 or 8 good pellet count and good velocity..what possibly happened is you misjudged yardage they look a lot closer being black. They're really along the lines of pigeons as far as bone structure goes.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will look into them and go from there. I'm pretty excited to go out again. Although shooting-wise I had a hard time, we still had a blast and I never laughed so much in my life! Definitely breaks things up with all the serious coyote/fox and grouse hunting I do all winter.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Your screwed now chris, lol. That crow hunting is just as addicting as the predators. I'm better at crow then fox maybe we can trade off hunts, lol. You'll be hooked just as commander it's as much fun as you can have.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
Your screwed now chris, lol. That crow hunting is just as addicting as the predators. I'm better at crow then fox maybe we can trade off hunts, lol. You'll be hooked just as commander it's as much fun as you can have.
haha yessir, I realized I was screwed before the hunt was even over!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 PM

My gun is just a 12 ga mossberg 935. I usually use modified choke. I plan on researching waterfowl chokes and guns to come up with a crow rig. We've found crows to be tough, hit em with a low brass game load feathers fly and they keep truckin. We know use 2 3/4 high brass 6 or 7.5. Sometimes if it's a good day it's an expensive day. As for hitting them Im bot the best as I've never been a good wing shooter, miss a lot then I hit unfortunately lol. Sounds like commander and ramrod got some nice outfits there hunting with.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
My gun is just a 12 ga mossberg 935. I usually use modified choke. I plan on researching waterfowl chokes and guns to come up with a crow rig. We've found crows to be tough, hit em with a low brass game load feathers fly and they keep truckin. We know use 2 3/4 high brass 6 or 7.5. Sometimes if it's a good day it's an expensive day. As for hitting them Im bot the best as I've never been a good wing shooter, miss a lot then I hit unfortunately lol. Sounds like commander and ramrod got some nice outfits there hunting with.
Goodolboy, if you want to keep cost down look at the super sport sporting clays or the nitro sporting clays. They'll push an eighth ounce less of shot than a high brass, and very close to same velocity for a good chunk less unless your buying rio high brass for eight bucks a box. As for choke do some experimenting but I don't think buying a waterfowl choke is necessary, they are more open than a lead choke, turkey chokes are often too tight for small shot sizes and degrade your pattern. However compnchoke makes a wad stripping choke in lead constrictions and pattern master has the upland series, those will help make your pattern denser by shortening your shot string.. You will have cleaner kills but with a shorter shot string your lead will have to be more precise. Hoped I've helped any