Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:29 PM

Default Shotgunned 5 coyotes, live pictures!

On our first coyote calling stand this morning at about 10:00 am we had a large female coyote show up to Pup Distress 3 sound on my X-Wave about 15 minutes into the stand.

She stopped about 100 yards out so I switched sounds to Vole Squeaks on volume 25. She started trotting closer and my hunting buddy for the day on his first calling stand ever dropped her with a 3" 1-1/2 oz load of TSS #3 shot.

IMG_8025 by , on Flickr

Two stands later we were sitting about 30 yards apart with our shotguns and I had my X-Wave sitting between us about 15 yards out in front of us.

I started out with Adult Rat sound and at about 5 minutes into the stand a coyote ran up to the left of my Foxpro and crossing right in front of my buddy.

IMG_8036 - Copy by , on Flickr

This is coyote #1 on this stand.

IMG_8044 - Copy by , on Flickr

Still coyote #1 on this stand.

IMG_8045 - Copy by , on Flickr

The above picture is #1 coyote on this stand a split second after my buddy hit him with some TSS #3 shot.

After the first coyote got shot a coyote about 400 yards away challenged us so I hit my #4 pre-set button and it is Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound on full volume. I let the Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound go for about 20 seconds and then switched to Pup Distress 3 sound on full volume, it is my #2 pre-set sound.

Within 30 seconds I saw a big male coyote heading our way from the direction that I heard the challenge from.

IMG_8047 - Copy by , on Flickr

In the above picture is coyote #2 running by looking for a coyote to fight with.

Just after this picture was taken my buddy's TSS #3 shot dropped this coyote.

Pup Distress 3 was still playing on full volume when the below coyote which is coyote #3 for this stand showed up.

IMG_8066 - Copy by , on Flickr

This #3 coyote was moving from left to right and stopped at close to 60 yards away. I shot this coyote with a 3" 1-5/8 oz load of TSS #2 shot.

IMG_8067 - Copy by , on Flickr

#4 coyote for this stand was also heading from my left to my right and it stopped about 70 yards away. I held just over the neck and chest area of this coyote that was standing broadside. The 1-5/8 oz load of TSS #2 shot dropped the coyote straight down dead.

IMG_8075 by , on Flickr

Here is my noob coyote calling buddy with the 4 coyotes that we shotgunned on one stand.

All it takes is one great stand to make my day.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:48 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Great pictures, good story, Bob. Good way to break your new hunting partner in. Must have been wild and western during that action.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:04 PM

These pics Rule!! Thanks for sharing!!

Read the new book The Predator Hunter's Toolbox at www.barkatthemooncoyoteclub.com
Old 11-30-2020, 04:23 PM

GREAT post and photos too. WTG!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:08 AM

Awesome shoot. Was wondering what you set for your #1 and #3 pre-set buttons . I like what you set for your 2 and 4 pre-sets. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:56 AM

My four pre-set sounds.
#1 pre-set is "Coyote Pup Screams" at volume 40 for stopping coyotes.
#2 pre-set is "Pup Distress 3" on volume 40 for calling coyotes.
#3 pre-set is "Vole Squeaks" at volume 25 for coaxing coyotes.
#4 pre-set is "Male Challenge 4" at volume 40 for challenging coyotes that have just challenged me.