Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Crow Hunting

Crow Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about crow hunting here.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 PM

I use a stoger m3000 and change from IC to Mod choke. I typically shoot 8s or 7 1/2s depending on whats availablein good bulk when i buy for the year. Stay with 6 shot (I only use 6 shot for run and gun) or smaller and you will be fine. I use 1 1/8 oz shot and 3 dram equiv. That gives me good pellet count and good speeds. The biggest thing is to shoot the same shells if at all possible. This might be overkill on my part with with all my shooting be it shotgun, rifle, pistol or bow. I removed every possible variable i can so when i am shooting like crap i know i need to look at what i am doing and not blame the gun or shells. On a last note when you buy choke tubes i would highly recommend Carlsons. They make VERY good chokes and they have the best customer service i have every encountered. When you call you are almost always talking to a Carlson so they truly care about protecting the company name. Also buy extended choke tubes. You can find tons of research that will show you will get 5-15% better patterns. If your going to buy a new one then why not right.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:52 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the importance of the type of shot. Bob Aronsohn has told me several times to either shoot 7 or 7 1/2 magnum shot. Holds its pattern more reliably and will penetrate through bone and feathers much better.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Do you know of any factory loads that use magnum shot, currently we just use any high brass 6 to 7.5 we can get our grubby hands on.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:27 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I always loaded my own, but not sure if the factory loads them or not. They sell copper and steel coated shot. They used to sell something called "Chill shot" which was a special hardened shot. We used them a lot when we were really after the rabbits with good beagles. That's been a long time ago.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Have the same trouble lots of people do, the hit birds just won't drop. We've come to the conclusion if we keep trying different ammo and choke combos well find on that works.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:00 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

IMO, one of the most common problems crow hunters have is using shot that is too big rather than going for a denser pattern. One number 7 shot, placed right, will kill a crow. Pattern your gun at 40 yards with number 5 shot, and then repeat with number 7 shot, and you will see far fewer spots on the pattern that a crow can fly through.

With magnum shot, you also get much better penetration and a consistent pattern.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumal View Post
IMO, one of the most common problems crow hunters have is using shot that is too big rather than going for a denser pattern. One number 7 shot, placed right, will kill a crow. Pattern your gun at 40 yards with number 5 shot, and then repeat with number 7 shot, and you will see far fewer spots on the pattern that a crow can fly through.

With magnum shot, you also get much better penetration and a consistent pattern.
I was having the same problem when i first started. I was using 5s and 6s casue i thought about the size of the bird and didnt know any better. Then i changed to 7 1/2s and 8s after Bob A. told me about the pattern issues and saw and immediate improvement. I would like to start loading my own after i buy a house.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:06 PM

Well guys I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to get a few different types of ammo and pattern and shoot it when crow opens. Even with the trouble we have, we still have a hoot hunting crows. I've also thought about reloading just using a simple Lee load all but powder and shot is extremely hard to come by here
Old 11-29-2017, 12:13 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Default Shot size for crows.

During the last two seasons I have switched from 7 1/2's to number 8's on crows. Crows are thin skinned birds like a dove or a quail and do not take much lead, they kill easily. The challenge is getting them close enough for a decent shot at them. Most of my shooting on crows is done at 40 yards and under. Later in the season I am forced to stretch the gun barrel but can tell you, 8's and 7 1/2's will either kill them or just knock them out of the air a lot further than most guys think. It's more a matter of having a good hold on them and a choke and barrel that likes 8's or 7 1/2's. The rest is mental, having confidence in what you are shooting to do the job at hand.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

If you decide to try trap loads on crows ( in 12 gauge) and are buying factory ammo get a 3 dram load not the 2 3/4 dram load like they sell at Dick's Sporting Goods! Federal makes a snappy one ounce load that I tried in # 8 shot for the first time this season. It is a 3 1/4 dram load and it was a very decent crow killer. Some of the factory ammo I use is the Remington Gun Club Loads only in 3 dram powder equivalent. Next is the Federal Top Gun trap load also a 3 dram load in # 8's. Next is the Federal loads you can buy in the four packs at Walmart, they make a very decent shell to kill crows with. I used to scoff at this ammo until one day years ago I shot all the ammo I brought with me on one of my crow safari's and was forced to buy the El Cheapo loads! I was very pleasantly surprised at how well they did on crows for me. I have used them ever since.