Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > FOXPRO Sounds > Sound Reports

Sound Reports Having a lot of success with a particular sound? Post in here to share what sounds are hot and which ones are not! Also, a great place to share some of your favorite FOXPRO Foxcast sequences!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Kitten distress

I've been having my best luck with a Kitten distress sound. I play the volume at what sounds like a real kitten and play continueous for about half an hour. Coyotes love it. This is farm country and there are lots of cats. Several years ago I was ice fishing on a country pond and could hear a cat meowing in a nearby thicket. It kept it up for at least 30 to 40 minutes then suddenly I heard a loud commotion from the cat and from then on it was silent. Something evidently got it. Since then I use the cat sound later in the season after they get tired of hearing all the various dying rabbit sounds. I don't know of anyone else around here that uses it and I don't tell them.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks! I was thinking about using that this week. I have an aunt that has a bunch of farmground and wildcats. The coyotes are pretty call shy there though.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Let me know how it works for you.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Good Stuff.....will put it on my caller.............
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM

My brother and I went out at daylight,had at least a 20 mile per hour wind but on 2nd stand my brother killed a male coyote with shotgun. He came in at 21 minute mark and I was using the kitten distress call.Next stand using same call one came in at 20 minute mark.He came in to about 70 yard and abruptly turned around and ran back the way he came from.I threw a shot at him with mini-14 but he was in brush and shot was rushed as he was disappearing fast. Wind had changed direction and believe he may have winded us. Two coyote coming in out of 3 stands is pretty good for Ohio. Love that kitten in distress sound.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM

I like they way it sounds, no success so far but I'm still going to play it when I feel the time is right.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Hope it's not in bad tast to bring up old threads.

I got a pup this year on kitten in distress. There are no kittens in this part of the desert. This was after about 10 minutes. Heading back to the truck I found a mature dog that had been on the way in. Shot and Missed!

Guess I should have hung out a few more minutes, but then again the dog about had my wind back there anyway. He would have busted me and I would would have never known. Imagine...

Last edited by simple06; 11-07-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:37 PM

A couple of years ago I made it a point to use "different" sounds. It seemed as though the predators would respond to about anything as long as it sounded like something in distress. I used snowshoe hare #2 and princess bird quite a lot because they really produced. Of course a snowshoe or a princess bird isn't found in the desert south west, but the critters didn't care.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:45 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Pay attention to what Weasel says. I have killed coyotes here in Kentucky using a wide variety of sounds, none of which are native to our part of the world. Coyotes don't discern what it is that is in trouble, it is just the dinner bell ringing to them. They'll come out of curiosity just as often as hunger so having something new to their ears is a good thing.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM

I call coyotes all the time with sounds not made here in KY. Antelope, Snow Shoe Hare and several other western distress sounds have produced coyotes for me.