Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 12-25-2019, 03:59 PM

Default Eastern vs Western

What is the biggest difference between calling eastern and western dogs? All the tv guys that hunt out west have coyotes running in left and right, and coyotes howling all throughout the day (which I have discovered to not be the case here in Arkansas). What is the biggest difference to consistently take eastern coyotes?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Thicker or dense woods make it easier for coyotes to close the gap without being seen. This is a major issue with wind coming from variable directions. That's the biggest issue I've run into.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2019, 09:19 PM

The TV guys edit their footage. It wouldn't keep many people watching if they showed every stand. I follow a couple of excellent coyote hunters from my area that have a You-Tube channel. They tell ya when they have days of not calling anything in. Of course they don't waste time prepping it for You-Tube. It happens to all of us here in the west. We too have thick woods, but we also have open areas. It's the open areas that give them a chance to get a lot of footage. Same thing in the east. A heavily wooded area doesn't give much of a chance to get camera footage. That's why even eastern footage is usually taken in open fields.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:56 AM

Here in Southern Ontario our rural areas contain mostly crop farmland with some bush attached to it.... Our biggest problem here is roads and lots of them..... Most farms are 100 acre parcels or less.... Our human population is so great down here that even in the country hunting areas (rural areas), you usually cant go more than 500yds without running into someone else property or a road....We are very restricted on where we can hunt and areas we can hunt....
If we had less roads and larger parcels to hunt, our success would be much greater....
Old 12-26-2019, 04:40 PM

Another thing I've noticed is eastern coyotes tend to not be vocal during the daytime. I hunted for a year and my hunting buddy hunted for 2 years during daylight hours and neither of us even saw a coyote. We both changed to night hunting and things changed almost immediately.
I hunted for a week in Nebraska and killed 7 during daylight hours. They were vocal and came in just as you would expect. I don't know what the difference is but there is a difference.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2019, 06:45 PM

I’ve been after them here in Arkansas for a few years now and I can count on one hand how many I’ve got to howl back during daylight hours.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:48 AM

I have the same type of looking area here in Missouri. It sure doesn't hunt like the TV shows but I kill a decent amount every year. I have found scouting apps to try to use land or water to not allow them to get your wind or bust your approach in the tight land tracks to be the biggest help.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:06 AM

Population, Unfortunately where I hunt their in close and majority of the time you don't have time to watch them and get ready. Think of TV as entertainment and sales. Now with that said, everyone has to work at putting fur down. Some just have to work harder for less.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:27 PM

I've seen both coyotes. Eastern Coyotes tend to move at night and low light hours until the mating season in which then they will move all day. Western Coyotes move all day and night which makes it easier to get tons of setups on dogs and footage if needed. As Frank says above about roads and parcel lots, The eastern tends to shy from open areas as the traffic builds in the morning. How ever possible I find after 10:00am showings on sets disappear unless you can get way back off away from roads and houses of noise.
Ruger Percision Rifle 243 Harris extended S25C
Vortex 4x12x50 crossfire on each setup
Hornady V-Max 58gr