Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 PM

Default Winchester VarmintX 12 gauge BB?

Does anyone have any in field reports on these shells. 1 1/2 oz of BB's. I have shot them and they do pattern well. Just wondering if anyone has taken any game with them?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 AM

If they pattern well, use them. If they're non coated limit your range to 40.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 PM

They are copper plated Night Eyes. I probably wouldn't try to poke one out past 40ish I guess. Have to try them out for real.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:15 AM

Have you tried Dead Coyote? Hornady makes them, their Nickle Plated. I bought 3 inch BB shot, 1 1/2 oz.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:36 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Hornady doesn't make Dead Coyote. Hevi Shot does. It's heavier than lead (HTL) T shot, not lead BB. I'm not a huge fan of DC, not at the price, but it is far more effective than lead BB, that is for sure.

Hornady does make a Heavy Magnum Coyote nickel plated BB load. I was given a whole bunch of them to try out. It's fine, as far as lead BB goes. But lead BB is just too light in the loafers for coyote, for my purposes.

I don't imagine there is enough difference in performance between the Winchester load and the Hornady to matter.

As far as copper or nickel plated, the two competing wad systems, etc. I don't think any of that amounts to anything. They are both 1300 fps 1-1/2 oz lead BB. If for some reason I was forced to use factory lead BB ammo, I'd just use whichever patterned best for me.

- DAA
Old 03-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the response DAA. I liked your reviews on the TSS stuff also. I was going to start buying #4 shot TSS from a vendor online where the shells are loaded and boxed up already. I just can't afford it. I wish I could, but 10$ a shot is just past my budget. I am going to go with the Winchester Shot Lok BB's instead. I am mainly going after cats. I used to use Winchester Supreme Elite Hevi-shot B size. They are discontinued now, but they were a step smaller than BB's, but they broke bones pretty easily it seemed. I would have to use multiple shots sometimes, but I always put them down for good. Anyways, I am down to my last box of those, so I am going with the Varmint X BB's. I wish I could afford that #4 TSS, cause it looks wicked!
Old 03-05-2019, 10:14 AM

I can picture what that TSS #4 would be like though. I imagine having a broadside shot through some thick cover at 50 yards and just blowing through a coyote with complete passthroughs. Hitting him with 20 or 30 pellets. Maybe someday, I will be able to afford them hahahaha. Till then, I will have to be satisfied with putting 10 or 12 just barely through the ribs, lol.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:09 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Exactly!

- DAA
Old 03-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
Hornady doesn't make Dead Coyote. Hevi Shot does. It's heavier than lead (HTL) T shot, not lead BB. I'm not a huge fan of DC, not at the price, but it is far more effective than lead BB, that is for sure.

Hornady does make a Heavy Magnum Coyote nickel plated BB load. I was given a whole bunch of them to try out. It's fine, as far as lead BB goes. But lead BB is just too light in the loafers for coyote, for my purposes.

I don't imagine there is enough difference in performance between the Winchester load and the Hornady to matter.

As far as copper or nickel plated, the two competing wad systems, etc. I don't think any of that amounts to anything. They are both 1300 fps 1-1/2 oz lead BB. If for some reason I was forced to use factory lead BB ammo, I'd just use whichever patterned best for me.

- DAA
Thank you for the correction. I was looking right at the box when I type it. LOL, Granted I was not wearing my glasses, but that's no excuse.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 PM

I got two kills and one runner with the Win BB this year. Both pretty good sized , 40 & 41 pounds, I carry a scale. One was maybe 30feet, the other a good 45 yards. One shot kills. The runner was a moving target and I shot low, rolled it and saw a leg swinging when it was out of range. It patterns well out of my 930 Mossberg with full choke tube and turkey choke. I like the turkey load also. My only complaint is the loaded cartridge seems a little long and I can only get four in the mag.